Topic

MYOG Backpack Design Strategy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Backpack Design Strategy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've been fooling around with backpack designs for a couple of decades now. I favor designs where the major parts of the backpack are separate from each other and easily detached/replaced rather than sewn together into one entity. So, for my purposes, I divide the backpack into 5 parts: frame, waist belt, shoulder straps, back bag and front bag. This allows my simple mind to address one part at a time and it is much less daunting (for me) than attacking the entire pack design at once.

Also, when one of the 5 parts fails in testing or post test use I only need to replace that part…..not the whole backpack.

I'm curious how others approach the design and testing process of backpacks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I do that some, but

If you, for example, sew the pack to the waist belt, it will be a more rigid connection and weigh less.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools