Topic

Alternative in-expensive options for MSR Whisperlite universal

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternative in-expensive options for MSR Whisperlite universal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Looking for a Winter stove, to melt snow and boil water. MSR whisperlite universal has best of all the worlds in terms of using all types of fuel, but its pricey any other quality alternative stoves which does the same job.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Not exactly in-expensive, but a better stove for a cheaper price Primus Omnifuel

Do you need both white gas an canister options?

A fire maple with an inverted canister might be a good choice.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Yes I need both Liquid fuel and gas options, just came back from a overnight winter backpacking trip and found that the liquid fuel stoves were way efficient than gas ones and melted the snow pretty quick. Does Fire Maple has hybrid stove?

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

The standard whisperlite is the standard and a good deal at $80, then just get a cheap $10 screw on stove for canister use. Doesn't really make sense to buy the multi-fuel since you won't want all that weight when you are just using canisters.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Is this the attachment which lets me use Canisters in inverted mode? what screw is this?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I assume he means a Chinese, screw-on canister stove such as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N98B-Stainless-Steel-Gas-Stove-BBQ-Burner-Cookware-Backpacking-Picnic-Camping-/140856663714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cbb61ea2

$8.23 with free shipping.

or any of many others if you search a little on ebay.

Not the lightest option or the best made. But you seem focused on cost and it would be a way to simplify and reduce cost on your white-gas winter-camping option. Also, I'll point out that a white-gas AND a canister stove puts out more heat (when both are operated) than any multi-fuel stove does by itself.

Edited to add: that $8 stove doesn't allow inverted operation. I've gotten some of the cheap stoves for school trips and to scatter in the emergency gear bags in the car trunks (I live in Alaska, it is -24F right now).

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Optimus Nova multi fuel stove is a good choice, but expensive and heavy at 15.1 oz for the pump and stove.

I have the pre-Katadyn version I'd be willing to sell.
    PM me if interested.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Any experience with Primus Omnilite Titanium :)

MSR whisperlite universal can be gotten for $97
    Primus Onmilite — $124
    Primus Omnilite Ti — 149

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If you need to simmer to cook something for, say 15 minutes or so do NOT get an Oprimus Nova. This is from personal experience. Plus it won't burn low enough to bake with either.

Stick with the MSR stoves. Their multi fuel (but not canister) Dragonfly is the king of simmering. The Whisperlite Universal is great for car camping or winter backpacking.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Does whisperlite universal lacks any simmering at all? with EB sale I can get it for $84.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

After giving a lot of thoughts about MSR whisperlite and other brands, I decided to go with Primus Omnilite Ti. It comes with .35L fuel bottle and windscreen. Wondering if I need to add another fuel bottle for 3-4 days of winter camping with melting snow and boiling water.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Wondering if I need to add another fuel bottle for 3-4 days of winter camping with melting snow and boiling water."

Yes.

Fuel consumption will vary, but I used to get about four hours of full flame from one quart of white gas.

–B.G.–

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools