Topic

650 Down Jacket $30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 650 Down Jacket $30

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Chris Calpin
    BPL Member

@adrnlnjnke

Locale: N.E.

That's right a 650 fill goose down for $30. JCPENNEY just put these on clearance. I picked one up this morning. 10.7 oz on my scale including the "supplied" stuff sack.

My store had an assortment of colors: Navy, lime green, black, red, orange, silver. You can pick these up online too. With "FREE Shipping." No minimum requirred.

I do not work for JCPENNEY, check my posts. Just trying to do my bit.

Oh with the way it fits. You might want to go next size up. I wear an xl but had to buy an xxl. Just my opinion.

Happy Holidays.

Link: http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom//gifts/for-him/coats-and-jackets/jcp%25e2%2584%25a2-down-puffer-jacket/prod.jump?ppId=pp500960355&Nao=24&pN=2&searchTerm=puffer&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults

Mathew Joseph

@matjok

Locale: Northeast

They run small for sizing. I am a regular large, but the large tall fits me fine. The sleeve length on the large regular is too short. The body fit is snug too, but very good value for the money. The large/tall was $8.00 more than the regular. I do not know if they still have them.

Sean Breen

@scout22

I found one that my mom got for me for christmas! So i found the jacket in a bag in my living room, and just had to take a peak, and that peak turned to me trying it on, and putting my backpack on, and walking around my house for a little while. Anyway i found that the jacket is fairly roomy in the body, and tight in the chest when you pull your arms back. Now i am by no means a big guy ( i only weigh like 135) but the medium was tight for me in the chest, but roomy around the waist. So if you don't mind the extra bulk around the waist, but want more mobility size up. You can allways get a tailor to adjust the jacket too i guess. But its only 30 bucks. Get 2!!!

Here is a vid. of the jacket, might give you guys a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i1AfczEF54

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Anyone know if it has a way to cinch the hem tight?

Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

I found the sizing similar in that the torso felt large and the shoulder area tight. At 6' and 200#'s I found I was between sizes L and XL. I took a look at the big and tall and found the BT Large to be the right fit for me. It was only $28. There is no way to cinch the bottom without sewing.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Like most have stated, I also tried one on and found that they are tight in the shoulder/chest area. I normaly wear a large, but had to go to a xxl to get the chest/shoulders to fit good. I think I would probably go to a B&T large if I was going to buy one. I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs

Jack

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Just picked up two for $28.00 each! Normally, I wear an xxl and had to size up to the 4XL. I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. with "ape arms" I plan on adding a bungie to cinch the waist hem. For the price, they are a screaming steal. Warmer than my Stoic Hadron jacket and the 4xl is only 10 ounces!

Ben Chuang

@bchuang

Picked up a size small for my son earlier this week. Even for my son it was a bit tight around the shoulders. The small came in at 8.9oz without the stuff sack and 9.4 with.

Caleb Brownfield
    Spectator

@brownfield

Locale: Dolly Sods

This jacket would be perfect for my fiancée, however she is petite. I couldn't find a comparable product for women. The closest (only based on images) is this:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gifts/for-her/coats-and-vests/ana-packable-puffer-coat/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001600315&catId=cat100250094&deptId=dept20000013&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&cmJCP_C=labeled&cmJCP_T=XGN3

The description says it has "faux down"…which is? Anyone else have luck finding a light women's down jacket for similar pricing?

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

I can't remember if I checked that one in particular, but the women's down garments were not as light as the men's.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

This jacket appears on the adds on the right hand side of the previously posted jacket. Don't know many details but it says ultralight so it must be true, right?

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/xersion%25e2%2584%25a2-ultralight-down-jacket/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001310178&cmvc=JCP|dept20000013|cat100250094|RICHREL&grView=&eventRootCatId=&currentTabCatId=&regId=

Mike M

@marshmi

Locale: AL

Just grabbed one. My size large was actually only $20 in store, but I did notice the XL's were $28. Arms are pretty short, which is perfect for me!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

My son went to his local JCP and the jackets were marked down to $20.00 the sales clerk said they just marked them down from $30.00 to $20.00 this morning. I just bought mine last night at $30.00 What's funny is the big and tall were $2.00 cheaper, go figure, doesn't it take more material to make a big and tall jacket?

Jack

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I couldn't pass at $20. The fit of the piece is pretty awful, but whatever…

fat

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked one up tonight. I bought in online and had it shipped to a local store. I went up a size and I'm glad I did. An XXL is 11.4oz with the stuff sack, measures 25" across the armpits, 30" from the base of the collar to the tail and 38" from the center of the collar to the cuff. The arms seem short with my arms held out forward, but long with me arms held at my sides. Given the comments on fit, I think there is something funny with the cut around the shoulders.

The zipper is weak and the cuff openings are a little big. The stuff sack is decent and has room for a beanie and some liner gloves. I would relegate it to summer hikes where rain isn't expected and you want something for cool evenings and mornings, or day hiking CYA insulation.

It won't last like a $200 puffy, but it's passable for $30. Lightweight insulation is one of the most expensive items on a gear list and this is better than being cold— or staying home :)

Craig Dean
    BPL Member

@2manytents

Locale: Southeast

I was driving by a JCP last night and remembered this thread. I swerved in to see what they had. There were several to choose from, so I tried a few on. Normally a large, the closest I came to comfortable was in an XL… but only if I didn't try to raise my arms. The cut was just weird on me. If I stood with my arms down I was okay, but if I moved, not so much.

The ironic part is that there was, in fact, a female equivalent (same design with a more feminine cut) of the jacket in the store by me. My wife had tried on several of the other ladies down jackets before I spotted a few of the female-version-of-the-mens hanging out on a rack to the side. She tried one on and it was a match made in Heaven… nothing like all the other ladies down jackets on display. It rang up at only $20, too.

So I go in for a puffy and my wife comes out with one. Guess I can live with that. :) Maybe, when SHE goes in one day to buy a new car……

Craig Dean
    BPL Member

@2manytents

Double Post… sorry.

Jason Cravens
    Spectator

@packpack

Locale: Cumberland Plateau

Nice find, I have 2 Mont Bells, and a $15 650 fill I found at Old Navy last year or I would grab one.

J

Jeremy Bullen

@jwbullen

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I picked up the black puffer vest at JCP today only $20. Says its 650 fill. Going to try it soon to check its warmth. Havent weighed it yet but it stuffs down to about the size of a softball which is a great space saver.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

How would this jacket perform if layered correctly? I have a synthetic OR jacket that weighs a few oz. more and takes me down to the mid 20's F just fine (when layered). The price is awesome! Just wondering if it's worthwhile considering I already have a quality insulating layer that isn't much heavier and stuffs down really well.

Chad Billsby
    BPL Member

@billz107

Locale: Up North

Just picked one up in orange to throw in the back of the truck. Definatley needed the tall to fit my monkey arms. Couldn't pass it up for $14.

Jared Baker
    BPL Member

@simply_light

Locale: Midwest, US

At the prices they have them marked down to, it was too hard not to buy one. Scored a LT for $14.

The only thing I am not to fond of in this jacket (and most others for that matter) is that I have to buy the talls for the length, but then the girth is too big for me. I generally wear a small/medium (175 lbs), but the small medium jackets are never long enough in the arms or back (6' 1"). When I move up the Big/Tall sizes, the length is great, but the fit always feels rather bulky on me. I prefer a slimmer sports cut on my jackets.

You can never find a Small/Tall or Medium/Tall and are extremely fortunate if you find the Large/Tall. Hopefully, one of these days, my MYOG skills will be up to the challenge of customizing my own.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools