Topic

Using a blanket vs. jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Using a blanket vs. jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

Around the house I often grab a fleece throw and toss it over my upper body and I find that it keeps me much warmer then using a jacket.

Since I often just do long day hikes I'm usually moving pretty fast but at rest stops I do like to keep warm and think this would be easy to implement. Although it would be not so convenient to try and eat nor would it make it very easy to hike with if I were so inclined to do so. I'm just tossing ideas around but here's what I'm looking for:

-Something that is very lightweight
    -Doesn't cost much
    -something that could possibly be used inside a bivy for those fastpacking quick overnighters
    -Doesn't take up much space
    -I prefer synthetic over down

This would most likely just be used for 2 season summer temperatures in the PNW where I'd most likely only be carrying a 6L pack with mileage of about 30-40 miles. I haven't tried using an emergency blanket yet but I'm interested in trying that since its the lightest and most compact choice.

Items I already have that could work are an EB downlight jacket and downlight vest. Also anyone that does high mileage I'd appreciate to know what you bring on your long days for insulation.

Thanks everyone!

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Makes a lot of sense to me.

The native Americans shown in the movies often are using a blanket.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

"The native Americans shown in the movies often are using a blanket."

And we all know that Hollywood is always very careful to be absolutely accurate in their presentation of historical peoples, clothing, weapons, and events. [Sarcasm]

Nonetheless, yes, I've used a blanket or even a sleeping bag as a temporary warmth enhancer. Hey, Jacks R Better even makes a quilt that's designed to be used as a wrap!

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

For a non-Hollywood example, I've often seen afghans walking around in their "pajamas" with just a blanket wrapped around them. And sandals. In the snow.

Tough people.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@threeridges

Not the cheapest, but definitely multipurpose. I use it and a Borah bivy for a moderate weather sleep system.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Hammock hangers' underquilts can be worn as a shawl in camp. That is dual purpose. The UQs are thicker than a vest, and are warm enough, but don't seal or fit as well as the designed garment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools