Topic

Need recc’s for a 40 mile loop in the southeast in March

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Need recc’s for a 40 mile loop in the southeast in March

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

My college-aged son and some buddies would like to do a spring break hike from March 10-17 in the southeast of about 40 miles and ideally a loop. Any recommendations? If not a loop, then any other trail recommendations? They are all seasoned hikers and will be hiking light and fully equipped for weather. Thanks for the help.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Bump…anyone?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

College, spring break, might as well be on the AT in GA.
    No shortage of shuttle services, dont need a loop.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Plenty of great options. Several loop options in the Smokies. For example, go out of Big Creek and up the AT. Side trip to MT Cammerer. Come bazck on the other ridge thru MT Sterling.

Another favorite is the Roan Highlands section of the AT. But that will involve a shuttle

Linville Gorge has multiple loop options

Many other good loops in the Smokies out of Cosby, Cataloochie, Clingman's Dome, Fontana,etc that very nice

Shining Rock and Art Loeb in NC are worth considering

Shenandoah if youre willing to shuttle

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

A good option would be a loop connecting the Iron Mountain Trail with the AT in southern VA. Several loop options are possible. My brother and I did the northernmost loop which as about 45 miles. It passes through Grayson Highlands which in my opinion are the most beautiful area in Virginia. Here's a trip report.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65142

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools