Topic

Camera insurance recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Camera insurance recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

I am thinking about upgrading to a better camera. An immediate thought that goes with it is how to not ruin a $500 piece of equipment on the first trip. I spent most time in Southern Utah (desert environment) where sand is omnipresent.

I have killed 4-5 cameras in the last few years, some just got sand inside and lens stopped moving, a couple I accidentally went swimming with (while canyoneering). Even shock-and-waterproof Canon Powershot D10 died after a year of use (fortunately replaced under warranty).

I am prepared to treat a nice camera better than my previous point-and-shoots, but still I would like to buy some sort of insurance for it. What would people recommend?

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I've had a positive experience with the Mack warranty on my Sony NEX-5. I took a spill with it coming down Algonquin Peak in the Adirondacks last winter. I had a replacement in my hands three weeks after sending the smashed one in.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

That's cool. I never new about Mack Warranty. I'll have to check them out. If you have homeowner's insurance, you can also call your insurer to see if there is an add-on for your camera equipment – make sure you ask what will or will not be covered.

Mike

Jeff DuBois

@toejam792

I get mine from best buy and get their accidental warranty. You can chose 1 2 or 3 years and every thing is covered. If it cost more to fix than replace you get to pick out a similar item for free, then you just pay for the warranty again. I've killed 2 cameras and probably five laptops, all covered and replaced just have to pay for the warranty again.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I purchased a SquareTrade warranty when I bought my NEX a few years ago. Never had the need to use it but their online reviews are pretty good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools