Topic

Georga AT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Georga AT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Dalley

@pauldalley

Locale: Gulf Coast

Hello All,

My long time hike friend and I are planning our first hike on the AT. Start at Springer Mtn and do five day hike, then return. We are willing to start farther up the trail, if recommended.

I have never hiked in mountains before. I have hike Isle Royal, MI about four times. And we typically hike between 7-11 miles per day. I'm not sure what to schedule for this trip. Right now my plan is to hike from Springer to Neels Gap about 30 miles in about 5-6 days. I don't if that is reasonable for part time hikers.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Paul,

I've done Isle Royale (loved it!) and the first section of the Georgia AT. I don't know your age or hiking condition but your estimated mileage should be doable. Are you doing the approach trail up to Springer as well? Just know that the approach trail and first 30 miles of the AT in Georgia will be far harder and slower than Isle Royale. Beautiful…but harder. I recommend that you do some training walks, immediately treat any hot spots or blisters, and take your time. Be sure to drink lots of fluids and be ready for inclement weather. And oh yeah, have a blast!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I did the approach trail to neel gap, in 3 days.
    Springer to Neel should take no more than 4 at a leisurely pace
    If it takes more than that, you are carrying WAY too much, or you weigh 300 lbs.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would think that would be no more than a 3 day trip but never hiking mountains before taking it slow is probably the right thing. Why did you pick that section other than it is the "start" of the AT? The reason I ask is IMO Georgia has lots of PUDs (pointless up and downs) and no views. The scenery gets much better further north in NC and TN.

What time of year are you looking into?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools