Topic

Esbit Burner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Esbit Burner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I took some time out to do a little dry baking with the mini and used one 4 gram tab, small Bundt pan and my 326 cake mix. 10cm Imusa mug was the pot of choice.

Sending 2 mini's to Korea today.

Scott Matson
    Spectator

@mrsamman

I think I would like one of these, where do I order?
    Thanks
    Scott

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hello Scott, they are now available at this link:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/mini-esbitmizer.php

I will ship International but you need to send me a PM and give me an email address so I can send a paypal invoice that includes International shipping charges.

Thank you for your interest in the Mini Esbitmizer.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This kit is a great way to introduce scouts to solid fuel and be able to simmer.

This is the way it comes shipped. Only $12.00 and that includes shipping.

photo esbit20kit20004_zpslqzjijpp.jpg

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dan, the problem might be the fuel tablet size.

Where I live, I can find standard 14-gram tablets in two different brands. However, I have never seen any 4-gram tablets around here. That's going to make it hard to use for the scouts. Besides, on a per-gram basis, the little ones cost more.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

4 grammers are available online. all scouts have smart phones and paypal accounts. Take a look at every other youth, they are using their iphones on the internet. Just kidding about the phones.

Online availability is there for ordering. The large tablets work well in the mini. They will burn down below the level of the lid and allow it to slide into simmer position.

If dads and moms want a safer way for their youth to enjoy camping in other than ideal conditions then they can and will find a way to get 4 gram tablets to go the more efficient route.

Scouting regulations do not allow alcohol stoves right? Give them an alternative, esbit. Give them a unit that is easy to use. No sharp corners…safe! Small Ziplocs to store the burner and are reusable for storing more esbit tabs.

Adults are capable of planning how to accomplish the purchase of the 4 gram tablets.

I'll get some links to the 4 gram tablets for everyone.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

"Besides, on a per-gram basis, the little ones cost more."

Let's not put the almighty buck in the way of our youth's health and welfare. Esbit is much safer in the their hands than alcohol fuel.

Here is alist of online places to get the 4 gram tablets:

http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/esbit-4-gram-fuel-cube.html In stock

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-ucoessfc20/esbit-solid-fuel-cubes-20-pieces-4-grams

low stock

http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Esbit.html in stock

http://www.top-gear.co.nz/shop/CAMPING+AND+HIKING+GEAR/Cookers+%26+Stoves/Esbit+4+Gram+Solid+Fuel+Tablets+20+Pieces+-+Model+08100.html

http://casanovasadventures.com/catalog/camp/p1570.htm#.VNrM9Xl0zrc in stock

http://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/boiler-accessories/esbit-dry-fuel/

in stock

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-4g-Solid-Fuel-Tablets-20-Pack-E-FUEL-20X4-/261769482401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf2ad50a1 (in stock)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-Solid-Fuel-E-FUEL-20X4-/161562424128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259ddef340 (in stock)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-4g-Solid-Fuel-Tablets-20-Pack-E-FUEL-20X4-FREE-SHIPPING-/281446576510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418785f17e (in stock)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-Smokeless-Solid-Fuel-Cubes-for-Backpacking-Camping-and-Hobby-E-FUEL-20X4-/111589324817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fb3df811 (in stock)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Esbit-Hexamine-5-minute-Solid-Fuel-Tablets-Pocket-Stove-Fire-Starter-Cubes-/291113186677?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7b2b575

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esbit-Solid-Fuel-Cubes-20x4g-emergency-camping-fire-starter-mil-tablets-NEW-/281509318557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418b434f9d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESBIT-4-GRAMS-SOLID-FUEL-20-PACK-PK-Camping-Hiking-13-Min-Burn-Time-Per-Cube-/181360715364?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a39f0e664

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Besides, on a per-gram basis, the little ones cost more."

Dan, that was my statement, and now you have proven it.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I never doubted your word on cost per gram :-)

Follow the links for availability of the 4 gram tablets.

Get the scouts involved with the joys of burning esbit one way or another. Go Trail Designs, FlatCat, choose anyone, but get the scouts out and enjoy the great trails in your area.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

"Scouting regulations do not allow alcohol stoves right?"

Wrong. In Boy Scouts, alcohol fuel is officially "not recommended" but it is allowed in "commercially manufactured equipment" including stoves.

Girl Scouts does not have any liquid fuel policy that I've been able to find, and our local council still uses soda can stoves & kerosene lanterns.

That said…there are a lot of youth I'd trust more with esbit than with alcohol.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I'd trust more with esbit than with alcohol"

Yes, with Esbit we really don't even think about a fuel leak from storage. Plus, if you handled your alcohol wrong, you could splash it on skin and get a burn. Esbit is just slightly more foolproof.

–B.G.–

Theron Rohr
    BPL Member

@theronr

Locale: Los Angeles, California

I think solid fuel does make a lot of sense for scouts. Don't forget Coughlans tablets are quite a bit cheaper but otherwise functionally equivalent to Esbit tabs.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Coughlans tablets"

Oh, the round ones. Each one is about equivalent to a half of a standard Esbit tablet. The round shape makes it more difficult to stand them on edge to affect the burn speed.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I'll give the Coughlands a try today in the Mini Ez.

Here is some great info on the use of esbit by an avid user of esbit, quotes from my website, bplite.com

quotting JA:

Interestingly, I have started using the little 4 gram esbits rather than the larger standard 14 gram size ones. I find that I end up being able to shave a couple ounces off the total weight of them, and makes for less mess because I am not hauling around partially used cubes.

You are in the middle of the freaking wilderness… how can the smell of esbit really be so bad worth going through all of this effort? Even a slight breeze and you are just never going to smell esbit. I think some of you guys need to get out of your houses more and into the woods. If you guys think the problem with esbit is the smell…. well, try lifting your arm up and taking a wiff after you have been out there for four or five days.
    Pretty neat getting esbit to simmer. I have seen a couple of folks come up with systems to do that.

Only time I really care about simmering is if I am in a base-camp situation, which are very very rare for me (maybe once every four or five years) and the use of canister/liquid fuel is typically used.

When it comes to my long distance hikes, it is all about getting water up to around the 175 °F (crab eyes level) in order to have the water hot enough for food and tea or coffee. For that I could just set the esbit cube on the ground, but these days I use the brian green esbit tray which is about 4 grams in weight and does a rather nice job of getting the ground from getting scorched and giving me a complete burnoff of the cube without residual left on the tray.

But anyway, yeah, having the container like you do could prove to be helpful for those who would like to be able to keep their half-burned esbit cube contained in a clean manner. Not really sure of a situation where it would need to be so long as to hold two or three esbit cubes, but then as I already mentioned, never done any dry bake cooking with esbit, so for those who do do that, this could potentially be a pretty sweet little design.
    I have had great success with the little 4gram esbits. I switched over to them very earlier this year and have not bought the larger ones at all. A bit less residue and almost never have to worry about carrying around a used esbit. If you can ever get some, you should give them a go.
    I use two of the 4 grams (so 8g total, compared to 14 grams for the larger/regular size) and usually have no problem getting crab eyes (175'ish) temperatures. With the larger 0.9 pot I do have to use three, but that is still 12 grams compared to 14 grams, and zero left over, partially used esbit left sitting in my pack. Gram for gram, on both a long distance and short distance hike, the 4 grams give you a better weight to performance ratio then the 14 gram cubes do. So weight together with not having half-used cubes, together with less pack space (bulk) makes these a better option – as least as I see it. The problem is trying to find them. In trail stores they are non-existent. It is hard enough finding 14g esbit cubes on the big three trails here in the USA. These little guys are probably impossible. So, I just order up a case or two a year and throw them into maildrops and/or stashes.

Unless you are needing to sterilize water, forget about the whole "water must be boiling" aspect.

Just a bunch of marketing crap that has come about over the years as companies need to define a base-line for how fast their stoves work.

In the real world (*cough* out on the trail *cough*) a hiker never ever needs to bring their water to a boil, unless they are in a situation where they need to sterilize water or are melting snow.

I suppose there might be some out there who enjoy eating their food when it contains 195(f) or hotter water, but I have never meet anybody who did.

And I am not sure I have ever encountered anybody who consumed their coffee/tea at 195+ degrees either.

The vast majority of dehydrated meals will reconstitute just as fast in 175 degree water as it will in 195 degree water. It has more about ToC (time of contact) than it does temperatures.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Just a reminder these are available to all interested in have your scouts get introduced to solid fuel. Keep their hands free of unused esbit in these handy dandy simmer containers. No sharp corners, lid snaps shut to keep contents inside.

You old timers might be interested in changing your ways and get one of these simmering Mini Esbitmizers. You can control the rate of burn with one of these once a boil is achieved ;-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Jennifer, try one of the Mini Esbitmizers. I'll include some N0-Smell Esbit.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Mini Coleman Lighter works well to light Esbit.

Photobucket video click on it to view

video VID00002_zpsd8dpdav4.mp4

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Nm

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Ok Jimmer, I'll never mind you :-)

I suggest you slow down ;)

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I mistook this for another thread. Thus, the "nm".

I actually removed it out of politeness.

Which I can see is wasted on you.

And just like you, I can post anywhere on this forum I please. Fast or slow.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

My stereo mini esbitmizers arrived today In good shape, thank you Dan for kindly shipping them to Korea. I look forward to trying them. The rounded corners and edges certainly make them pleasurable to hold. Soft tech.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I've shipped a couple Fancee Feest stoves to Korea and many other countries. They are for meths. Esbit is nice now that I know about the smaller 4 gram size. They have almost no odor.

I wish you well my friend on your upcoming adventures. Thanks for letting me know the package arrived. :-)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

By the way, Dan, readers might be interested to know that in Korea, although Esbit tablets are available in some outdoor shops, particularly in Seoul, they are not widely available. In Japan, I suspect the same applies; certainly in Kyushu Esbit fuel can fairly readily be obtained in Fukuoka in outdoor shops, but in smaller centers, it is not available (as far as I am aware). My Japanese friend who hikes all over Japan recommends burning alcohol for fuel, easily obtained from pharmacies everywhere. The same applies in Korea, though cartridge stoves (Kovea of course) remain very popular.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you for the info on availability.

Is Esbit available online from Korean suppliers at reasonable prices to include reasonable prices for shipping?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I can see the gears turning in Zelph's head. He may have to open up a remote sales office in Seoul.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools