Topic

Ostrander Ski Hut – shoes or skis?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ostrander Ski Hut – shoes or skis?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James VanDeVelde
    Spectator

@vandevej

Locale: Central California

Going out to Ostrander for the first time end of December. I am trying to decide whether to rent xcountry skis or to use my snowshoes. Given its been years since I've been on xcountry skis and the additional costs, I am leaning toward using the shoes, but thought I'd better check with folks who may have gone before in case that's a bad call.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I agree with your thinking. The trip to Ostrander can be very challenging unless you are pretty good with your skis (and climbing skins). The snow conditions are likely to be thin, so snowshoes might be a lot more predictable.

I generally ski up the Bridalveil Trail and come out on the Horizon Ridge Trail, but the final decision is made on snow conditions and weather.

–B.G.–

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools