Topic

How do I repair this Cuben Fiber Shelter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How do I repair this Cuben Fiber Shelter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Contact cement and strips of cuben over the seam, probably both sides. Will take a lot of fiddling. That part of the repair will
    be a pain.

Tape would work, but would be harder to get and
    more expensive.

On the tie outs, A much larger glued reinforcement patch of cuben inside and out, then restitch the web back on. Don't
    over do the amount of stitching. The stitching shouldn't be a box x. That's for parachute harnesses with force in multiple directions.

Silicone caulk won't hold.

The forces on that shelter were pretty high.cuben 1 vs sil before.jpgcuben 1 vs sil tieout detail b.jpgcuben 1 vs sil failure 42 lbs.jpg

These photos show cuben fiber .51 oz versus silnylon 1.4 oz. All failed at the same time, the thread(7 lbs per stitch), the cuben and the silnylon at 42 pounds. Nylon stretches to reduce force over a large area, but when the force is concentrated, the .74 oz
    cuben should be stronger than the 30d silnylon even stitched without other methods of reinforcement.

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Locale: Australia

Hi, Maker has offered a refund without me asking, which is great.

As soon I recieve refund, I will be ordering a Cuben MLD DuoMid. If I had the money now I would order today.
    9 week waiting period, Ouch. And further two weeks postage time. Thats going to hurt, as I was planing to use shelter this coming Febraury at Tasmania.

Thanks to everyone that have offered advice, very much appreciated. Its been a distressing couple of sleepless days, upon word of refund, the relief was instant, I had a good nights sleep last night.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

When you order the Duomid, Call MLD and talk to Ron about when you need it. I'm sure he'll try to get it to you in time.

One thing to think about with the Duomid in cuben is whether you want the "normal" cording and Lineloks (very easy to use), or go with the thinner and lighter cord, and perhaps the MiniLoks. The Lineloks are more versatile, but do add a couple of ounces. I use the smaller cords and no MiniLoks – just tying a slippery half hitch. No failures so far.

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Spoke to Ron yesterday via email. He strictly sticks to orders as recieved. No chance for a quicker build.

I even offered to pay more. Not to worry, I will just have to wait, I think it will be worth the wait.

Will Inman
    BPL Member

@empacitator

Locale: Western Australia

It'll definitely be worth the wait. High quality shelter that will last many years with care

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

I have received a full refund on the shelter and ordered a MLD Cuben DuoMid.

I decided to go for a Oookworks Custom Inner for my DuoMid, but sean from Oookworks has not responded to any of my email's I've sent for the past two weeks. I am not sure what to do in regards to a inner for my DuoMid.

Really want one of those Oookworks, but there's no response from them for two weeks, which is a concern.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Phillip,
    Wondering why you did not order the inner that MLD makes for its shelter.
    If you order the Oooworks, suggest you not order the Chikara nylon floor.
    I ordered some Chikara 42 gm from Europe and found that altough it looks bombproof, it is actually not very water resistant, a big consideration for a floor.
    Best of luck.

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Hi Samuel, Thanks for the tip, yes I was going to order the Oookworks inner with a Chikara floor, but if it's not totally waterproof, that's not good, very important I have a waterproof floor. maybe will order with a nylon floor or better yet, cuben floor. I could ask them, but they don't reply to emails and the cost of adding a Cuben floor might be to high for me.

I've put off ordering the DuoMid till today, for the reason of the inner, I been tossing and turning weather to get the Oookworks or the MLD inner, decided today to go for the Oookworks for the higher walls, as I plan to mainly use this shelter in cooler climates and wondered if the full mesh of the MLD would be suitable for me. I now wonder if maybe I should have just ordered the MLD inner. To late now, I've ordered and paid for the DuoMid.

Oookworks looks like they make a fine inner with great features, I'm a sucker for features. I wouldn't mind the OookWorks Duomid hybrid inner he has linked to on his website that's 315 grams, but that's with a Chikara Floor. I wouldn't mind a quote for the inner with a Cuben Floor. But I sent an email out to them a couple weeks ago asking about this and thus far no response. The lack of communication with Oookworks is not good. I might have to look elsewhere. I might send Ron of MLD an email when he returns if maybe he could make some mods on his inner and add it to my order for the DuoMid.

Will give Oookworks a couple more days to respond if no response I will talk to Ron.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Sean at Oookworks has recently moved house and has had problems getting broadband installed IIRC. You can search or ask at Outdoorsmagic to get more information.

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

Odd to hear about the Chikara leaking water. I also have a Oooknest with a Chikara floor and did not experience any leakage this summer. And Norway was plenty wet at times ;-) I normally pitch the nest without an additional groundcloth. Though on two days I used a polycryo sheet (fully covering the floor of the Duomid) because the ground was already saturated and it is much nicer when your knees and bum stay dry in the vestibule!

My only "regret", is that I bought a regular Oooknest instead of the nano; now that I used it for three weeks I think I would prefer a little more space in the vestibule at the expense of room in the inner.

Regarding Cuben, I believe it is not as abrasion resistant as nylon, so you need a thicker quality (Zpacks recommends at least 1.0 oz/sqyd for ground sheets) and that is more difficult to pack small because it is stiffer. No free lunches ;-)

Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

I sent first email to Sean 3 weeks ago in regards to ordering a custom inner for my Cuben DuoMid and to date no replies.

I'm afraid, his missed out on a sale. Not waiting any longer.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools