Topic

BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips BPL Montana Winter Rendezvous

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

What are you guys planning on doing for footwear choices?

I have a pair of Inov-8 Trailroc 255s that I quite love, but they have a lot of mesh, which easily gets soaked and then soaks my NRS Hydroskin socks. They're great until I stop moving, then my feet get cold fast. Same for the morning–I have to pack up and start moving before I can feel my toes again. I took them out last night and was able to dry them by the fire, but I've been considering picking up a pair of GTX socks for colder conditions.

Any ideas?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have had good experiences with Rocky Goretex socks.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

and I had a very bad experience with Hydroskins in the snow.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Are hydroskins breathable?

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Hydroskins are fairly breathable, but like I said, they stop insulating when you stop moving. I don't mind wet feet, but I'm trying to avoid being so cold. It took about 30-40 minutes of hiking this morning to restore feeling in my right toes, and that was putting the socks on dry in the morning. They just didn't warm up while breaking camp (and they got soaked pretty quickly once the frozen water from my shoes warmed up enough to melt into them).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have never had wet feet using the Rocky socks, they seal well around the ankle.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I'm not much for Goretex footwear, but I plan on wearing Goretex mids (Montrail Badrocks) w/ a really thin merino liner and a heavier weight merino sock

I'll have down booties/overboots for camp, the overboots are sized that in a pinch I can wear them over my mids as well as an additional layer

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think that even if your feet get wet, the gore tex socks will keep them warmer than hydroskins in the snow. Hydroskins are best for wading around water.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'll almost certainly be wearing leather 3 pin ski boots.

Waterproof socks would probably keep your feet a bit warmer than Hydroskins while snowshoeing, though the problem with the spring conditions we had this weekend is that your shoes will still get soaked. You'll have dry them each night or keep them from freezing overnight, and even so wet shoes will suck heat from your feet. Actual waterproof shoes are probably a bit warmer, all things being equal.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

a week out (subject to change, especially in March!) looks pretty good- forecast for Lincoln 23rd 51/28- mostly cloudy, 24th 54/30-passing shower, 25th 54/31-morning flurry; elevation at LIncoln is 4500'

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Based on the warm and sunny weather we've had recently I'm fairly sure we'll see some dry dirt in the first 10 miles.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dave- what time and where do you want to meet up on Saturday? Is everyone still staying in Missoula Friday night, there is a Starbucks on the north side of I-90 on Reserve St if we wanted to grab a cup before hitting the road?????

Also looks like most of the state is expecting some snow the next couple of days, so might be less of that brown stuff :)

Mike

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Great tips about dealing with cold wet conditions, hope to see some lessons learned afterward. Looks like a great group and a fun trip, have a blast!!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

According to the radar, our route is getting some snow right now.

I officially have the day off now, and so long as I can get all these papers graded before Thursday, I'm in. I may have a friend coming for one night too. I should know in the next day or two if he's in.

Getting excited. I need this trip. Now, I need to go work out and grade a lot of papers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Adan- hopefully lessons not as hard earned as our last adventure, I've got the boss with me this time! :)

Clayton- hope you can make it, should be a dandy!

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dave- you don't have email turned on, so hopefully you'll post here soon :)

Mike

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Have great trips guys, I hope I can make the next one out west.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I'm saying 930 at the Monture TH. Forecast actually looks wintery!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

that'll work :)

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I very much regret that I must withdraw. I have a business matter that I thought would be resolved by now that will require constant attention – mostly waiting – over the weekend. This is an important personal matter that has consumed me for over a year and I cannot defer these discussions.

I look forward to the next trip and wish you a great trek. Looks like you'll get some snow.

Richard

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

sadly after a 1000 mile drive yesterday, I'm back in Miles City- was in Missoula for just over an hour before I got an urgent call, got home at 2:30 AM :(

I hope you guys still do the trip, have fun and be safe!

Mike

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

At this point everyone who's expressed interest is out or on the fence. If there are any lurkers out there, speak now or you might find an empty TH.

David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Yep, I seem to have all sorts of things conspiring against my getting to go as well. So no problem, I am out.

Viewing 23 posts - 76 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools