Topic

Ti sheeting in Melbourne, Australia?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ti sheeting in Melbourne, Australia?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Locale: A tent in my backyard - Melbourne

Any Aussies know where I can purchase thin Ti sheeting (0.005" thin) for some MYOG (stove) projects here in Melbourne?

I'm only after a small piece (which will probably make it more difficult).

I understand I can grab some from TiGoat, but was just thinking about supporting local first.

Thanks for your help

Jase

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Hi Jase,

I can't help, but if you can find some, I'm interested.

If not, I'm interested in splitting an order if that helps. I'm looking for enough for a windshield for a MSR ti kettle.

Rod

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

Sure thing Rod.

In fact, I'll call Williamstown Metals (2 min away from my house) tomorrow and see what comes out of that conversation, or if they can put me on to someone else.

I'll keep you posted. :-)

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

You could try Atlas metals in north melbourne too. I'm happy to give them a ring on Wednesday if you like.

Rod

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Guys, if you can't find your .005" titanium foil in Melbourne, you could contact DJ at Ti Goat. He sells clean CP-2 .005" foil by the foot, and he will gladly ship it internationally. It appears that he's out of the 22" wide foil, but he does have the 12" stuff in stock. Whatever you do, I suggest that you buy commercially pure foil (i.e., CP-2). The aloyed foil, such as 6AL-4V, is too brittle for repeated bending.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Roger Caffin has extensive experience using Ti foil for various things. He might be able to recommend Australian sources, but I don't know what part of the continent he calls home, so he might or might not have information about sources in the Melbourne area.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Buying Ti metal in any form from an Australia importer will result in you paying somewhere between double and quadruple the USA price. The local companies which import Ti for resale seem to think that anyone using it works for the military with an unlimited budget. I think the worst case was actually about 10x the USA price. The guy on the phone seemed to think this was reasonable.

So I always import my Ti, from Titanium Joe or occasionally from companies such as Ti Goat etc. It is ALWAYS much cheaper, even after freight.

Cheers

jason quick
    Spectator

@jase

>Buying Ti metal in any form from an Australia importer will result in you paying somewhere between double and quadruple the USA price. The local companies which import Ti for resale seem to think that anyone using it works for the military with an unlimited budget. I think the worst case was actually about 10x the USA price. The guy on the phone seemed to think this was reasonable.

>So I always import my Ti, from Titanium Joe or occasionally from companies such as Ti Goat etc. It is ALWAYS much cheaper, even after freight.

Thanks for that Roger. You're right…It may just be easier to get it from TiGoat or similar.

I'll drop you a pm Rod. Failing the local supply, we'll place an order if you wish?

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Roger, what thickness do you use for your tent plates/deadmen?

Regards, Rod

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> what thickness do you use for your tent plates/deadmen?
    I think it is 0.55 mm, 6Al4V sheet – which I got from TiGoat! (They wanted bendable CP but were sent the stiffer alloy). I have quite a bit – I was going to use it for stoves but the design changed.

Cuting it can be done with BIG heavy snips, not little ones. See the MYOG articles.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Can we get a translation out of Australian into standard English? What is a tent plate?

Most of the titanium that I use for thin items will be 0.005 inch thick, and I see very little offered that is three times as thick.

–B.G.–

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Steve Evans has a video for making snow stakes out of 0.016" thick Ti alloy: http://youtu.be/z0wzELlk_dY

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> Can we get a translation out of Australian into standard English?
    Well, actually, Australia speaks the Queen's English, and we regard that as 'standard English'.
    But if you want it translated into American, we can do.

We are talking about deadman anchors for the ends of a tent. You do NOT make those out of 0.127 mm (5 thou) thick Ti foil!

Bob – now you are a Forum Member you can read our articles. Try our articles on MYOG tent pegs ('stakes' in American).
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_titanium_snow_stakes.html
    and do also read Part 2:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_ti_snow_stakes_part_2.html

Also read 'When Things Go Wrong' at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/when_things_go_wrong.html to understand why Part 2 of those articles was written.

Chers

Robert H

@roberth

I would like to get enough to make a windshield for my Kovea Supalite if I am not too late?

EDIT: I am in Hobart.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools