Topic

First Solo Winter Multi-Day

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking First Solo Winter Multi-Day

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Skeen

@andyskeen

Locale: Upstate NY/Ft. Collins, CO

Hey Guys,

New member, first time poster here.

I'm going to be going for a solo winter overnight trip in a couple of weeks. Live in upstate NY, but this trip will see me moving through mountainous terrain in CO at 8,500-10,000ft.

My main concern at this time is my tent situation. I have a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 which has served me well over the years. Used it in GA, NY, CO, and WY in all weather conditions. Usually with my lovely fiancee to keep me company.

However, this will be my first "real" solo trip. Done plenty of trips solo, in the ADKs and Smokies, but that is pretty easy, relatively low altitude terrain. And, generally speaking, the weather was pretty cooperative.

Having carried 80-100lbs over mountainous terrain for weeks at a time, I appreciate saving weight wherever I can. The Trango is a great tent, but it weighs 10+ lbs, and is way too big for my 5'6", 145lbs and gear.

Basically, at this point, I'm looking for suggestions on highly breathable, singlewall tents that excel in alpine conditions. Having owned several eVent jackets, I'm a big fan, and know that it works.

As such, the tents I'm looking at are as follows:

Integral Designs Mk1 Lite
    Black Diamond HiLight
    Sierra Designs Convert 2

Any suggestions and recommendations of other products I've overlooked would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

-Andy

peter tooke
    Spectator

@petersont

Locale: NYC

Hilleberg soulo would be a palace for you, a very solid solo winter/mountaineering tent from a very reputable maker know for bombproof construction. And while not light by this forum's usual standards, still under 5 lbs
    I chose their Unna as I'm 6'3" and needed the extra room…
    http://www.hilleberg.com/home/products/solo.php
    cheers

OOPS – see you want a single wall, my bad!

nonetheless, Hillebergs worth noting…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

RAB owns Integral Designs and has "bivis" that you might find on sale.

http://us.rab.uk.com/products/equipment/bivis.html

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

Is there a reason you are not looking at the BD Firstlight?

I'm trying to decide between a Hilleberg Soulo and BD Firstlight myself.

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

For Solo, I would definetly consider the First Light.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Soulo is a a very nice tent, but it is cost inside.

I am 5' 10" and if I was any taller I would of went for the Unna.

This YouTube vid gives a good idea of the size http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=yEfmzI1tO6I

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

Hey Andy,

My first vote would be for the Integral / Rab Superlite Bivy – absolutely bomber in alpine winds – very breathable – and less than 3-lbs – not including stakes. I usually choose tent sites with a nice open view and use the natural wind block features as available – that bivy-tent is excellent for that purpose. You can find them for less than $350 usd. Not a bivy-tent for tall folks – perfect for sub 5'-8" solo adventures.

Having used a BD LightHouse in 4th season Colorado alpine conditions – the HiLight is way too soft and the rain overhangs get forcibly pushed around by the wind, makes it hard to sleep. Maybe if you stay low in the trees, blah,blah,blah or get a motel room. :-) Just kid-ding about the room thing.

I've never used a BD FirstLight but it looks like a good second choice for the weight and cost. Another nice feature of the FL is the available vestibule when including a second person. It is nice and light but it is also a soft/lighter weight fabric than other comparable 4-season tents (i.e. I-tent, Eldorado, etc.) Much taller than the Rab – not as easy to hide it from the wind.

Where are you going? Colorado at 8,500 to 10,000 is pretty – ahh average – hope you find time to at least dayhike into some alpine peak areas.

Good luck with your selection – stay safe!

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

Rab Superlite Bivy

The Superlite pops-up in a flash – a nicely tight freestander with easy guyline access – very quiet in the wind which is omipresent during the 4th-season in the Rockies.

RE: You-Tube – Setting up a Superlite in higher than average wind! Note that the dog wants nothing to do with it. Check-out that guy's efficient procedure and guyline management.

YouTube video

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools