Topic

Tikka XP2 CORE

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tikka XP2 CORE

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Anybody here tried one of these? I like the notion of a rechargeable battery pack, rather than burning through batteries. I've had a Petzl e+lite, and it's ok for emergency use, but for actual trail finding I haven't been that impressed, and find it a little uncomfortable to wear for long periods. The Tikka line in general seems well thought of, but I wondered if the CORE rechargeable battery pack performed as it should.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I really like mine. I have the Tikka XP w/ the core and use it both for evening trail running (80 lumens) and for backpacking (used it for a recent 11 day hike of the Northern Long Trail and also for some quick trips locally). Programable via a free app from Petzl that you install on either a PC or a Mac that lets you adjust the regulated lighting output. Very handy and a great light. I also have the eLite and really only carry it for a trip when I don't really plan on using it.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Good heavens, I don't know what I'd do with that feature–you'd have to know what to tell the thing to do, and I really have no idea.

I've seen folks talk about regulated light, etc, and don't know what they're talking about. Any good resources?

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Here is the info:http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamp/universal/core

It is pretty straight forward to use, and even if you never change any settings (via the computer program) its nice to always know you're leaving for the night with a full charge.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I got one a bit ago, i haven't played with different settings but i DO like that I can look on there and see what % charge i have left. And that i don't have to get new batteries.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I like it. I have the Tikka Plus 2 with the CORE battery pack.

-I set the main mode to blast all 90 lumens, so I have a very strong light when I need it.
    -I set the economy mode to as close to the lowest amount of light as I can, so I can have it last as long as possible outdoors.

After playing around with the settings, I found I liked having the headlamp do those two things perfectly. Very handy. The charge doesn't last quite as long as three AAA batteries, but it's close. I can carry spare batteries in the field and replace the CORE on a whim, though, I am a little worried I might crack something if I try to remove the CORE in the dark. I suggest practicing it once.

Also, you can buy the Tikka 2 Plus at EMS for cheap (31$ for me) and then buy the CORE separately, and it'll cost you less altogether than buying the one that comes with the CORE.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don't own the XP2 + Core, but I have borrowed one a couple of months ago. The UI was good and it seemed to work pretty well. I rejoice that there is FINALLY a regulated option for the XP2. The settings I tried was max, 15 lumens, and then I used the red LED for minimal lighting. It was ok, but I prefer my Zebralight H51 which goes brighter and gives me white light for the lowest setting.

–mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools