Topic

THE multiple use stove (IMHO)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear THE multiple use stove (IMHO)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Two years ago I bought a Trail Designs Sidewinder stove (A smaller Ti Caldera Cone).
    I also got the optional Inferno woodburning insert.

So this stove came with:

1.> TD's own alky burner, optimized to work at many altitudes
    2.> Gram Cracker ESBIT tab holder (an important gadget in itself)
    3.> Inferno gassifier-type woodburner kit (VERY efficient)

I prefer ESBIT over alcohol and in winter and spring (when fire conditions permit here in the far west) I have the option of using ESBIT or wood.
    So one stove can burn two types of fuel and do it with maximum efficiency AND serve as a small, well contained campfire after cooking is done.

I'd say this Sidewinder and the larger Tri Ti version are the best mutiple use stoves out there. Give them a look. 'Spensive, yes, but well worth it. Workmanship and design are outstanding.

Green Thumb

@greenthumb

I agree. I have had mine for 6 months and it is just so easy to use. The wind shield is well designed and very stable as a pot stand. The esbit clip is as simple and light as it gets next to throwing a tab on the ground. And the inferno insert for wood makes starting and cooking on a fire easier than falling down. I collect a handful of small sticks and presto, enough fuel to boil 3 cups of water.

Cheryl McCormick
    BPL Member

@cherylmccormick

I am looking to buy one of these systems. Do you know anyone who has one in good condition for sale? I am looking for a .9 liter pot too.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Hey GreenThumb, we would love to see a video of you boiling 3 cups of water with a handfull of sticks using this set up. Thank you very much in advance for cool demo video.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

what is the total weight of your kit with all accoutrements?
    Do all of those pieces nest in your pot or do you carry a separate caddy?

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've got a couple of caldera cone systems, one that nests in the pot, and one that requires a separate carrying solution. When I am in a rush, I find the system convenient to use with alcohol, and quite fuel efficient. However, when I have the time to sit and enjoy it, I find the wood burning option adds much to an evening meal. It takes very little wood to keep a nice fire going for hours in the cones (one quick walk around camp for pieces), and the ambiance of a wood fire on a cold night (or even a warm night) is worth it to me in many cases. I can build the fire as I arrive at camp, and then set up tent. When I'm ready for dinner, it is so convenient to just put on the pot and either cook real food or boil water; no need to worry about fuel efficiency. A few pieces of wood put on as I start to eat the food keeps the fire going nicely. I've found that I need to move or shake the cone to get rid of ash accumulation after about 45-60 minutes of use, but this is an easy task to accomplish, and does not require putting out the fire; just be careful! I prefer canister stoves for quick cooking on long trips, but do miss the beauty of the wood fire.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Here is a link to a pair of videos on the Trail Designs website.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

The second video concerns the wood burning mode.

There are no boil times or amounts of water quoted.

Party On,

Newton

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

I agree, woodstoves work well with multiple fuels, dont take a lot of wood to accomplish the task, and make for a nice little mini-cmpfire that doesnt leave a lot of "trace" at a campsite.

A W

@lost_01

Somewhat off-topic, but what is your take on the sidewinder vs. the other three fuel ti systems? (what were the significant advantages/disadvantages?) I just looked @ their site and it's a tad confusing, as there are four:

Fissure Tri-Ti (most wind protection?)
    Fusion Tri-Ti (fits inside pot)
    Sidewinder Tri-Ti (fits inside pot)
    Classic Tri-Ti

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've purchased a Sidewinder and a Classic.

The Sidewinder is smaller in height and in weight, and rolls compactly to fit in certain pots. The bad news is that because of the height, you can't load it with quite so much wood, so you might be tending the fire more. Some of us don't use woodburning mode all that much, so it isn't a big deal. If you don't use woodburning mode at all, then maybe you don't need a titanium stove like this in the first place.

–B.G.–

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I am really pleased with the three (I know, I know) tri-ti setups that I have. I'm not a big trail cook – just a water boiler and the ability with meths or Esbit to light and forget while doing other things is great.

Like Bob I only occasionally use wood – generally to eek out other fuel on trips in Scotland/European Alps – and for the low-water volumes I need it does the job with no hassle – the main thing. Rand had been great to deal with too.

Just bought a couple of 'cone' modified Starlytes from Dan (another fine fellow who is great to swap e-mails with) and am looking forwards to seeing how they work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools