Topic

“Compression” tights?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Compression” tights?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I was looking at the go-lite tights for colder or wet weather hiking.
    http://www.golite.com/Ms-Rogue-Valley-Thermal-Tight-P695.aspx

I noticed that they are labeled as "compression" tights. Does "compression" mean that they are just form fitting or something else? I kinda remember a thread on here where some posters where promoting vague health benefits of compression clothing and others argued that compression clothing cut off circulation and made you colder. I really don't want that.

I have used "running" tights (not sure if they were also "compression") that didn't feel compressive or too tight. I just want some reasonably durable, form fitting running/hiking tights that keep me warm when hiking and could be used as long underwear to sleep in. Is it possible that go-lite is labeling these as compression tights as a marketing thing and they are actually just regular running tights?

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

I believe the idea is about providing support in various places. From what I've read, compression shorts/tights provide support [especially to the quads and hamstrings] which a runner would benefit from when s/he starts to fatigue. Think of them as structural tights – haha! I have no idea if the technology works, but it's been around for a while. Depending on the model, some compression garments are definitely tough to put on b/c they have to be tight in order to be effective. For things like running, I'd consider them, for other things, I'd probably go with something else. I have some semi-compressive shorts and I have to say they're very comfortable and keep my quad/hams warm. Made by Salomon.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Marketing spin
    Dangerous spin too.

Cheers

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, it sounds like it is.

I will try out the golite tights and if they are "compressing" instead of just fitting next to skin, I will return them.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

One balanced view on the topic:

The Physiology Behind Compression Clothes

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

they say the fit is "compression" ie lots of lycra, I'm sure they fit like just about any other running tight-"tight"

they look very similar to my speedwork tights (patagonia calls the fit "formfitting"), about the same weight as well

not sure how warm of "tights" your looking for, but for really cold weather (anything below 20 or lots of wind) I've gone to OR's Centrifuge tights, clearly warmer and more wind resistant than normal running tights- the speedworks normally get the call for 20+ weather

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

skin-tight underwear.

Tight clothing CAN do things for you.
    For example, the lifting shirts that some weightlifters wear can increase their bench press by ~25lbs.

The average "compression tights" or "compression shorts", are just light wt underwear/tights, and arent all that tight.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools