Topic

mec primaloft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals mec primaloft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/MensClothing.jsp

mec primaloft jackets and other goodies …

100gm PL1 jacket … 85$

etc …

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

do they ship to US? is there a customs fee?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Yes, they ship to US. I think it's like $19. You also have to be a member, which I think costs $5. Well worth it IMO. MEC makes quality stuff.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

its 19$ flat rate for up to 1000$ in gear … so the more you buy the cheaper it is as a %

no idea about customs

theres also cap4 copy tops on sale for 39$, merino hoodies for 49$, 100gm PL1 pants for 149$, nanopuff hoody copies for 115$ and other assorted stuff …

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems.jsp

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

One comment on the mec base layer equivalencies.

The Cap 4 equivalent is the new T3. The old T3 were the pati R1 equivalent. The new R1 equivalent is the vega series which no longer comes in a zip T and the hooded jacket doesnt have thumbloops.

From what I can tell the T2 that is on sale is a Cap 3 equivalent.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Just a heads up the MEC norther ultra light jacket has dropped to 59$ at the MEC site.

If anyone purchased it within 30 days, then you can get MEC to refund you the difference.

and if you havent that is a SICK deal on 135-200g/m belay class PL1 synth puffy

also note that the MEC 100g/m PL1 jacket has dropped to 49$

and MEC gives 1% back to the planet just like some other company ;)

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/MensClothing.jsp

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

If anyone's curios, the Northern Lite Ultra is a great jacket so far. Almost exactly the same as the DAS (no double fabric on shoulders and sleeves, no two-way zip, various insulation weights). The sizing is much better (medium is more climber-shaped and less box-shaped than DAS medium). The medium I got is 23.0 oz (3 oz lighter than DAS) and the large is 23.5 oz.

Fit is good in the shoulders/back for me, and that's a major reason I end up sizing up on outer layers. Arms are on the long side, which is good for me (6' tall, 6' 4" wingspan, 170 lb).

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Is the Northern Light Ultra more of a "go over everything so size it big" type of parka or is can it be more of an active layer? I ask because it doesn't appear all that big and puffy in the pics…?

I need to rationalize a need for a good deal… you know.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the northern UL is a belay parka for temps around 20-30F … that means hanging around belaying your partner for hours in the cold often wet conditions …

its not meant for active use unless you are in the arctic running way from polar bears ;)

Dan D
    BPL Member

@txbdan

Locale: Boston, MA

Gotcha, thanks. Probably a little to redundant with my down belay parka.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Eric, I know I saw someone else besides you also post that the T2/Cap4 and T3/R1 aren't equivalent… but when I recently handled the new T2/T3 hoodies in store, the fabrics seemed like a match. Besides design, how are they different? I thought they both were Power Dry and Power Dry HE.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

keep in mind that i have the old cap4, the new cap4 may be different

i believe that the T2 is a lighter fabric at the weights MEC lists anyways … also the new T3 is supposed to have some silver treatment for odour control

the T3 hoodie also had thumb loops while the T2 hoodie doesnt …

the new vega is the MEC R1 equivalent supposedly … or the same as my old T3 … the R1 im pretty certain is warmer and heavier than the new T3

if you handled them in the store thats the best way to judge for yoursef

or give the MEC service centre a call …

for 25$ though the T2 hoodie is a no brainer should you need a piece like that … if you can deal with the green clearance colour that is ;)

Emily B

@emilyb

If you are considering taking advantage of the clearance prices for any of the Uplink stuff, especially if you are thinking of getting it for a woman in your life, I recommend it, even though it's not the most dramatically-reduced-price item here. I've really liked mine. In addition to the competitive specs (40g/m PL1 for jacket & pullover, 60g/m for hoodie), the elastic baffle thread makes it form to your shape, so there's not annoying air pockets paired with super-compressed parts. Like I implied above this might be more relevant for women than for men.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools