Topic

Revelation X quilt – recommended way to use shock cord.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Revelation X quilt – recommended way to use shock cord.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I got my RevX quilt today. 20 degree, wide, with overstuff.
    there seem to be at least several Rev quilt users here so I figured I'd ask here before contacting Enlightened Equipment.

I know the three pieces of shock cord and toggles are supposed to be for the three sets of loops on the back to keep the quilt snug under me.

but they seem small compared to the grossgrain loops. if I merely feed them through expecting tension to keep them in place, they pop through the loops.

Any technique suggestions?

Thanks.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I loop one side through twice and pull the barrel lock so it snugs up. Then I put the other one through the other side, adjust as necessary, and loop it through again.

HTH

KJ

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

I modified my cords on my rev X quilt based on the instructions on this link. I have been very happy with the result and it is actually lighter in weight than the stock cords because they can be trimmed down and you only need half as many cord locks.
    http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/07/golite-ultra20-quick-adjust-strap.html

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

I have the Rev X quilt as well. It seems like everyone is asking how the heck to use the cords the bags come with, as I did. And it seems like everyone has an idea of how to modify them to make them more usable. But isn't it strange that whatever system it is supposed to be isn't obvious to everyone, including Tim, since there aren't really any instructions?

Just a thought. Like the quilt…completely confused how to use the core closures…

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Jeff,

This won't answer the question in your OP but…

I think I have added the grosgrain loops and shock cord to any quilt that I have made out of sheer habit.

The thought has crossed my mind recently that if quilts are sized right and have a sufficient amount of material they can be self tucking and stay put without the need for shockcord or straps and buckles.

For example I will describe my tuck and roll method of quilt "donning".

Using the drawstring style foot box, insert your feet into the foot box and while sitting up close the snap closure at the top of the quilt. While still sitting up put the opening over your head and adjust the drawstring closure as you like it. Put your arms inside, lie back and gently "roll" side to side once or twice. Your top quilt is now magically self tucked. If your quilt is properly sized it will stay that way unless you roll onto your side or go all "fetal position". ;-)

The trick is to properly size the circumference of the quilt around the shoulders, hips and waist area. The length of the quilt is the second element. If it is too long there won't be enough "tension" on the material to aid in tucking it underneath your body as you roll side to side.

BTW My 30* Wide, overstuffed Revelation X arrives next week. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Thanks for all the great replies.

I don't tend to lie still while sleeping. I move around, and alternate between sides and my back, so the simple tuck method probably won't work for me.

I'm eager to try the other suggestions, though, and am particularly interested in the blog article.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I was confused about it as well. What I ended up doing is tying an end of the cord off to a loop on one side, then feeding the free end through the cord lock, then through the loop on the other side, then back through the cord lock.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I found the cords too fiddly, and uncomfortable to sleep on. I don't like attaching my quilt to my pad–too much air gaps. So, I found an alternative. I use gros grain ribbon, and sew one of these on:watchband clip

I then cut the ribbon to length, and thread it through gros grain loops on the quilt, then the adjustable side of the watchband buckle. Flat, lightweight, holds its tension but can be easily adjusted, and removed if not wanted.

I was actually losing sleep having to fiddle with the shock cords. Now I sleep much better. I know he's trying to keep production costs low by not having multiple this's and that's to purchase, but I think this system just works better.

Aubrey Biscoe

@aubothogmail-com

Locale: Upper Midwest

im also confused w/ how to use the cords, it was a classic scratch my noggin kinda of time trying to figure the best way to use them. i do however have some better ideas on what to do now after reading some of your posts…but if anyone had a picture of their "system" i would love to get a peak, i can of course figure one out for myself but im not shy to say that i dont mind borrowing logical ideas as well. i have a buddy who has a rev x and he doesnt need them as he has a wide and is a stomach sleeper (this is what he tells me). thanks for your posts guys.

whoops: didnt see Mike V's link up there with the pics already there, thanks for that.

ROB WHELAN

@threepoint

I have the cord end without the lock attached to the Grosgrain loops on one side, then push the lock through the loop on the other side just like you would with a button through a button hole……. then you only need to pull on the shock cord when you need to tighten the quilt…. does that make sense? :)

I might have to take some photos tonight if it doesn't

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

My MLd has the grosgrain ribbon + flat buckles as shown above…

but another method i have used is tie shockcord to lowest (footbox) loop and run criss cross up to the top where I put the cordlock (you will either need to get a cord lock large enough NOT to go through the loop or get one that is anchorable (ie has another hole to tie/sew to the loop) and sew it in….
    alternatively you could use a normal cordlock and just make a small loop of static cord that is tied to the gorsgrain loop and goes through the cordlock hole (yes – the same hole the shockcord goes through)…it works

what you get is like this (something posted by greg mihalikQuilt cord zigzag

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

The criss-cross method with one shock cord is interesting.

At first glance, it would seem difficult to get into or out of the quilt when configured like this, especially for a bathroom run in the middle of the night.

What has your experience been like using this in the field?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools