Topic

Best pillow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best pillow?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've heard good things about the pads. I'm currently using the BPL Torso Pad but it's 17 inches wide by 32 inches long. The Montbell pad is longer and wider at the same weight. I'm guessing this is at the expense of durability, but I'm pretty easy on equipment. I'll probably get the folding closed cell extension pad with it. I actually have one of the pillows but I foolishly cut off the toggles. I'm thinking of getting another one as a spare. Oh, and the other day I saw one of the new UL super stretch bags with 800 fill down (a number 3) and could not believe how much loft that bag had! I just about bought it on the spot. I'm going to probably get one for my wife.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>I actually have one of the pillows but I foolishly cut off the toggles.

In a weight saving frenzy, I almost did the same thing. Then I figured out that they could be removed without cutting. Total weight of the two toggles: 2 grams. ;-). IMO, that 2 grams is worth carrying to keep the pillow and pad together. I did end up taking the strap off the 90 pad with a seam ripper (carefully now!) to reduce the pad's weight to 9 oz. even.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I was just at the Montbell store in Boulder and was told that Customs held up the shipment. It's now due around May 1st.

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

I am pretty much down on the WalMart water wing thing. This was an idea that changed the way I sleep big time. This is what I love abuot backpacking… there is this massive spectrum on how to approach it and what works. You can dump cash into a blow-up pillow or go to WalMart and get a pair of Sponge Bob water wings on clearance and get _2_ pillows for $1… I am still on my first of the pair. :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

James, last year Walgreens had some orange water wings that were slightly lighter and hold air well overnight. That one pair will last me years hopefully.

Scott Chandler
    BPL Member

@blueklister

Locale: Reno area

I've tried the BPL Flex pillows and gave up on them. I haven't tried the dual compartment pillow yet and want to try it. I bought a vinyl pillow from some company that sells them as beach accessories (3 oz.) It's bigger than the Flex pillows and I find I need the height to get proper neck alignment. The trouble with these pillows is they tend to squirt out from under your head all night long. Then I bought a Granite Gear Air Space zippered stuff sack (in medium.) The space of this stuff sack is rectangular instead of rounded. I put a Flex Pillow in it and then stuff in whatever extra clothes I have around it (gloves, socks, bandana) and I now have a more squarish, flatter pillow.
    I think the market is ripe for a more comfortable pillow that's lightweight.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I bought a Walmart inflatable pillow, with microfleece cover and memory foam the other day for $5. haven't weighed it yet. Gonna replace the vinyl air bladder with a BPL one.

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

I am a convert of the dual chamber pillows from BPL. I actually carry and use 2 of them together.

I often don't have spare clothing to stuff into an often uncomfortable carry sack as the wet gear is being dried, the day clothes are hanging to freshen up and the warm gear is being worn… so… 2 underinflated pillows are just wonderful after a hard day

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have had very good luck with this pillow as well. I bought a pack of three but after a a couple of dozen nights I'm still on the first one. Much more durable than I expected – I've even sat on the thing accidentally. I agree that under-inflation is the way to go.

Cheers,

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

Less is more!
    With some air blown in to your platy, wearing thin balaclava or put between your bag and pad, not too inflated overall, you're good to go! They can be slippery, but my ridgerest grips it pretty well. Inflatables may not be as grippy.

It keeps your water from freezing and dual use, so 0 grams.
    It could make your head a bit colder, if that is a problem for you. Make sure you have enough air so you are not down to the water, at least in cold temps. Easy night hydration and height adjustment via the tube, but a secure valve is imperative.

I filled one with hot water and fell asleep with it in bed 2 nights ago, so couldn't be THAT uncomfortable..

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I like (need) a big pillow when I sleep. The issue of a true ultra-light camper creates the quandry – if you go SUPER light – you wear it all to sleep (because you go with the lightest sleeping bag possible)…

So – if you wear it? You aint got nuthin' extra.

The platy is pretty good. I use it empty making sure not to fill it too much.

– or –

The 1.1 ounce FLEX-air pillow. Again, don't over fill.

a stuff sack is helpful for the noisy "crinkle" factor (for both options).

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

im in the floatie school. turned myself onto them about 3 years ago. after summer sale at Wallyworld is 25¢ for a pair.
    tried single chamber flex-air (medical) pillow, no bueno. maybe the dual chamber addresses the squishy factor.
    arm floatie is best, for ME

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Recently looking for something else I found the double chamber Flex Air pillow so I used that for a couple of nights out. Very nice…
    I did make a few water wings versions (different sizes) , one of them worked well for me but it has disappeared (?) In between I have been using a 1L wine bladder covered with my shirt/top , works but not as comfortable as the medical pillow or the water wings.
    Franco

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ben wrote:"For those of you looking at inflatable pillows, I own both the aforementioned MontBell UL pillow, as well as the Entex I-Beam inflatable sold at REI. Both are very comfortable:

Entex – http://www.rei.com/product/610507

19" x 12.5" – 6oz – $3

Cheap as heck but very comfortable because the I-Beam construction provides uniform thickness even when only partially inflated.

MontBell – https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=&hinban=1124290

18.5" x 10.6" – 2.3oz – $29.
    UL and comfy — a tad expensive, and often unavailable — unless you ask either Brett or Miguel, the resident MB pimps — to buy and ship to you from Japan."

Ditto on the Mont Bell. Outrageous price, but it works. Best pillow for the weight.

BPL pillows work too. Best pillow for the weight and price. Durability is an issue and the environmental impact because of it.

Ben, the REI link it to a discontinued model. Looks like their new offering is http://www.rei.com/product/765993. Size is good and reported weight is 7oz on this one.

There are Army surplus MASH pillows out there that are tough and cheap, but 6oz weight.

If you want a fleece-sided stuff sack, anyone who can operate a sewing machine can make one pretty quick. At least you get some dual purpose for the weight.

I wonder how a Sea to Summit roll-top silnylon stuff sack would work? I use one for my sleeping bag, so it's empty when I'm camped. Testing in store…..

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools