Topic

Record Calendar Year Triple Crown almost done

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Record Calendar Year Triple Crown almost done

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

A few of you may have heard that there is an Aussie hiker named Cam Honan (Swami) that is making a Calendar Year triple crown attempt. He has finished the PCT and CDT and is two thirds of the way done with a SB AT hike. At the pace he is on he will be the third person to finish a Calendar year triple crown, the fastest to complete it and from all the info I have found he will have hiked the most miles in a year at 10,200. I had the opportunity to hike with him and host him over Thankgiving and he is a super guy to hike with and an incredibly stronger hiker. It was great to be able to compare notes on long distance hiking and find out what is involved in going from fast hiking a single long trail to multiple trails in a year. Here is a link to his journal. Send him a note on his blog, he has posted here on BPL and definitely subscribes to all the UL principles. His site also has some good overall BPing info as well as write ups on his hiking all over the world. Enjoy.

http://www.thehikinglife.com/journal/2012/12/

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I hope he is able to finish up. Been keeping up with his attempt a little bit. I have to think at some point he's going to hit some heavy snow though. Maybe the Smokies. Although, the weather so far has been ridiculous for this time of year. It's been in the 70's all week here in Knoxville.

Ryan

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Had the pleasure of catching Cam just outside of Stehekin and finish my PCT hike with him this summer. He is a fantastic guy and incredibly interesting to talk to. Having hiked so much in so many different places you really just want to hear him tell stories of places I (or we) may never get to experience.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

…totally shoulda gone by Chonan the Nomad

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

What time did he end up doing? Anish is planning to do it soon in nine months which is incredible!

http://blog.gossamergear.com/triple-crown

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

236 days according to Swami: https://www.thehikinglife.com/12-long-walks/map-stats-journals/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools