Topic

Komperdell C3 Carbon Powerlock -OR- GG LT4S Trekking Poles for the JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Komperdell C3 Carbon Powerlock -OR- GG LT4S Trekking Poles for the JMT

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

If you had your pick between taking Komperdell C3 Carbon Powerlock poles or Gossamer Gear LT4S Trekking poles on the JMT, which would you pick?

I'm wondering if the Komperdell C3 Carbon Powerlock poles would withstand more abuse. I would be using these with a GG The One shelter and expect that I will probably catch myself a few times with my poles…though I am careful with my pole placement. I'm looking for something light, but also not winding up with a broken pole at some point on the trail.

A few random questions for owners of either:

I know the Komperdell C3s have an 8-degree corrective angle handle. Does anyone know what the angle is on the LT4S?

Are the locks on the LT4S consistently an issue in cold weather?

Is there any issues with the flex tips of the Komperdell poles staying in grommets of pole supported structures?

Are the Tungsten/Carbide tips on the Komperdell poles long enough to remain in the grommet of a pole supported structure…as they look to be on the short side?

How do the grips of the C3s feel and hold up?

…I might also add that I currently own a pair of Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles (19.3oz). I just don't want to be out on the JMT and wind up shelter-less because I break a pole.

TIA

KJ

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

On a tangent, check out some of the new Black Diamond poles. I was in a store and got a quick look at them: the locks now have metal reinforcing bands. I don't see it mentioned on their web site yet.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Dale

I just checked out the set of CF Cork ones last night. I actually bought and took home a pair of the prior plastic lock ones to compare to my BD Ergo Corks…figured they be lighter than the new ones with the metal locks. Turns out the SET is only 1.3oz lighter than my Ergo Corks. :O(

KJ

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the LT4s. There does not appear to be any angle on the handles. I am not sure if I would prefer an angle or not.

I have had very good experiences with my LT4s. I treat mine pretty carefully and have not had any real problems associated with breakage.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The LT4s have no angle. I have been happy with mine however I will say that after every trip at least here where it is wet and humid you need to take them apart and dry out the locking mechinism. It will corrode and make them hard/impossible to adjust.

I had the older Komperdel C3's and their locking mechinism was bad, so frustrating in fact, that I just used them as fixed leagth poles. They may have updated them since then.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Black diamond has alum. And carbon z poles. They collapse to about 1 foot but are not adjustable one extended. If you need a extension for setting up a tent those can be bought for cheap. I reccimend these poles because they are durable and solid once set up. Plus the weight on the carbon poles is about 8-9 ounces, which is comparable to GG.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools