Topic

Stoic Luft 60 Anorak, anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stoic Luft 60 Anorak, anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I just noticed that stoic made a synthetic version (sort of) of their Hadron pullover. It's called the Luft 60 Anorak, and backpacker.com has a size large at 11.5oz. I can't find any other info or reviews on it, however. That's surprising to me, as it seems like a winner for a lightweight midlayer. Any thoughts?

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-luft-60-anorak-mens

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

The down versions have extensively positive reviews. Provided you can get some assurance about the sizing from a similar stoic product, I would say it's a safe bet. It'll be warm and lightweight.

I would expect to have to baby it, though. My brother caught my Merino Wool Stoic Tee in his hand and it pulled apart like paper. Waste of 30 bucks. I doubt you'll still be wearing a Stoic jacket in ten years.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

While the stoic merino stuff has a pretty bad reputation for durability, my other stoic gear has been great. I can definitely recommend their softshells and synth baselayers.

I suppose I would have to adjust the hood, I will never wear a helmet with it (or almost never).

The wrist gaiters are a selling point for me, I have another stoic jacket with them and they really keep the heat in well.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've got a Luft sweater, like it pretty well so far. I didn't buy it for hiking necessarily but it would probably be fine. The shell on mine is Pertex Microlight, I think, and the wrist gaiters are a nice touch. Sizing is a bit strange, I wear a large in almost everything jacket I've ever bought (for length, I've got long arms) and I'm pretty sure I would have been fine with a medium in the Stoic.

As for the merino, I bought one of the t-shirts a couple years ago and am still using it. It actually is holding up better than my Smartwool Microweight t-shirt which started pilling and had a couple of holes within a year.

Adam

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Ozzy,
    I'd say go for it. I got my Hadron Anorak for $60 and it was a sweet deal. I've only used it on one trip so far, but was very impressed with it. Quantum shell, good cut, extremely light. It blew my MB Down Inner Parka out of the water, and for less than half the price.

What's been said about Stoic gear is probably true — they're a new brand and they seem to be budget-minded, so I cannot vouch for any outstanding long-term durability. But, the constructions quality on my Hadron seems to at least keep up with the Montbell parka that it replaced, so that's quite good enough for me.

Just my $0.02

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

One other note — I really like the sweater-style wrist cuffs on my Hadron. They're tight and thick, which does take a bit getting used to. However, the first time I wore it in camp, I immediately understood the reasoning behind it.

With my previous Montbell down parka, with its relatively loose cuffs, I always felt a little nervous working with my stove or eating dinner, gathering firewood, etc., while wearing the parka. That's because the loose cuffs would inevitably hover real close to my wrists, or out over my palm, and get very close to any of these dirty / sharp / hot objects. So the cuffs on the MB parka, being loose, made me nervous, and usually I had to push up the sleeves real high just to have peace of mind about that.

But with the sweater-style cuffs on the Hadron, that's no longer a concern. I can push them up just a couple inches and they stay put, decisively holding back the down-filled part of the sleeve from whatever I'm doing. I like that a lot.

The end.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools