Topic

Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Kings Canyon/Window Peak Info Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I am researching some potential trips for next summer and wanted to know if anyone has a trip report, or some good info on a cross-country route from Window Lake to Bench Lake, via Explorer Pass/Col. I enjoy cross-country, but don't want to get into any class 3+ terrain to pull it off. For comparison sake, I have done the Whitney mountaineering Route, the SHR from Roads End to Dusy Basin, and a large area of mixed cross-country in the Southern Sierras as well.

If anyone is interested in this area as well, let me know, as I probably won't do it solo. I am looking at going in over Sawmill Pass for the challange of another big Sierra Pass. Last year was Shepherd Pass, so I figured either Taboose or Sawmill Passes this year.

Thanks in advance for any route info and advice you may have!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"if anyone has a trip report, or some good info on a cross-country route from Window Lake to Bench Lake, via Explorer Pass/Col. I enjoy cross-country,"

I went in to Window Peak Lake years ago from Roads End up Paradise Valley. If coming from the east you can use the same route I did, which was up beside the Window Peak Lake outlet stream from the trail along Woods Creek. It is a steep class 2 scramble but, judging from your resume, you should have no problem. From there to Bench Lake, I can't help you, but Secor seems to indicate it's no big deal.
    Good fishing for rainbows, BTW.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Thank-you Tom! You gave me some good info last year on a hike a group of us went on in the Southern Sierras and it was very helpful.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

I would also be interested if anyone has done Arrow Pass or the saddle/pass between Window Peak Lake and the White Fork basin. I'm trying to string together a circuitus trail/cross-country route in the area and am having a hard time finding a lot of info on the area. I have Secor's 'The High Sierra, Peaks, Passes, Trails , but it is not real detailed.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Bueller, Bueller….Bueller.

Anybody out there besides Tom that has been in this neck of the Sierras?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools