Topic

ZPacks Twin Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Twin Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Locale: Indiana

Does anyone have experience with ZPacks new twin quilt? I know a thread was started a few months ago but I can't seem to post in it. Also it has been a few months now so I figure a few people have tried one out. I can't find any reviews online either. I plan on purchasing one in the near future for a 2014 AT thru hike.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

We got the 20 degree quilt. We've used it 8 nights so far and only 2 of them got cold – about 1 degree C above freezing. My wife has previously used the single 20 degree bag, and I'd say she finds this just as warm, if not warmer. Incidentally, we got the water resistant down, and also went for only 20% overfill instead of the standard 30%.
    The pros are significant weight and space saving and reduced cost. Another possible pro is shared body heat.
    The cons depend on your use. My wife is about 5" shorter than me, which means we don't fight for foot space, which MIGHT be an issue with 2 equally tall people, if they side sleep. Another con is that in warmer weather you have fewer venting options unless you both sleep equally warm/cold, since pulling it completely off your shoulders will affect the other sleeper. However, we've used it up around 15 degrees C without problems. The biggest potential con is the same as with double quilts at home; if you sleep apart, i.e. not cuddling, the quilt stretches between you leaving a gap at the top. When you move around, hot air can escape and cold air enter. We haven't found it a problem, and shared body warmth helps, but it might be a problem when pushing the temperature rating.
    The quilt has a button hole in the centre of the neck so for one sleeper to completely close the top of the quilt around them. The second person can close their side and velcro it to the first person's (as in the 3rd photo on the webpage). We've stuck some of Joe's velcro tape strips (loop part) perpendicular to the long edge of our mats at neck height, and fastened a length of one wrap velcro to them. Then we slip a loop of webbing with a 1/2" triglide onto the one wrap and the triglide goes through the buttonhole to hold the centre of the quilt down to the mats and eliminate the gap. It hasn't been cold enough to need this yet, but it seems to work and should deal with the problem when pushing the temperature rating.
    We're happy with the double quilt and won't be going back to singles.

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Good to see its working well for you. Do you possibly have a picture of your mod? Sound like a good idea. I can picture it in my head somewhat but just cant quite grasp it. Anyone else have any comments on this quilt?

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I've ordered one already but am still waiting to receive it. My wife and I have a trip planned for Christmas time. Here in the Bay Area of Cali a 20* temp rating should keep us plenty warm. But I'll report back after the trip and let you all know how things turn out for us. Hopefully we'll have some pics to show as well.

BTW, I'd like to see the mod that was mentioned earlier also.

Thanks,
    James

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Here's a photo. Note: there is no modification to the quilt – it comes with a button hole for a triglide already.Quilt mod

There is a matching velcro strip on the 2nd pad (which I couldn't be bothered getting out for the photo). The one wrap velcro fastens to the 2 strips to hold the pads together and the triglide goes through the quilt button hole to hold it down in the centre. I chose one wrap so that it can roll up on itself when packing so there is no exposed hook velcro to damage material.
    The triglide is sewn on to grosgrain. The length of the grosgrain can be altered by wrapping it around the one wrap. I might try using a 1/2" Ladder Lok buckle on 1/2" webbing, then it should be adjustable from within the quilt.

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Thats very intuitive! I like that. I like the idea of the ladder lock with webbing. We use neoairs but Im sure I can find a way to make it work. Could you sew the webbing to the one wrap so you dont have to tie it? Unless there is a reason for not permanently attaching it. We plan on using the 30 degree long quilt for an AT thru hike in 2014. Hoping to use it the whole trail by supplementing with clothing when its colder and venting it in the warmer weather. Dont have the money to buy two of these(but man do I wish I did).

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

I don't see why the webbing shouldn't be sewn to the one wrap. In fact, the grosgrain in the picture is attached to the one wrap by a loop sewn in the end of the grosgrain, which is probably easier than sewing it to the one wrap. It looks as if it's tied because it's wrapped around the one wrap to shorten the grosgrain.

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

I dont see any of the velcro tape on the site. Can you find it anywhere else? How well does it stick? I know the velcro with adhesive from the store doesnt stick to my neoair trekker very well.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

They're near the bottom of the materials page. The velcro is sewn onto one-sided cuben tape so there's a greater surface area than with adhesive velcro and force on the velcro isn't attempting to peel the edge of the adhesive, if that makes sense. Sticks fine on a CCF pad and I don't see why it shouldn't on a Neoair as long as the surface material is reasonably smooth.
    BTW, you can ask if you want only loop strips, rather than hook-loop pairs.

Colton Akers
    BPL Member

@akers07

Awesome thanks for pointing that out. Now I cant wait to get it in my hands. Doesnt seem like this quilt has been used as much as I thought it would have been.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools