Topic

Toaks titanium solo pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toaks titanium solo pots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

I was lamenting that I missed the killer deal on the BPL Ti 700, but then I found these:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009B98FGW?psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-POT-600-Titanium-600ml-Pot/dp/B009B5E39O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_3

Anyone seen these before? The Toaks website is real minimal, but the specs and the prices are good.

I'm not well versed in all the Ti pots floating around out there, but I do gather that a great many of them seem to have been made by the same few manufacturers and then branded under a dozen different names. Can anyone with more familiarity take a look at these product photos and see if they match up with any Ti pots already on the market? It would be sweet if these were equivalent to something that a Caldera Cone can mate with, etc.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Good deal–but a bit heavy for that size if you want to go for Ti. My 1.3L Evernew only weighs half an ounce more.

I do have a Toaks pot, though. It's the Lite Trail 550 pot that they are selling as part of the Titanium Solid Fuel Cook System. You can also buy it separately.

Still, very interesting find.

/*/EDIT/*/

Looking at it again, I really like the handle placement–nice and high if you want to use a Caldera Cone or high windscreen. I'm not sure where all the weight goes–maybe thicker titanium walls?–but it's looks quite nice, and $25 is a very good deal on Ti cookware.

Comparing it to my Lite Trail pot, I wonder if they have some kind of exclusive deal with Toaks in having this manufactured. It's not showing up anywhere on Google at least. I can't even find a mention of it. It makes me wonder what Toaks could do with a pot with Lite Trail specs but with similar handles to what you have above.

Again, very interesting find.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Clayton,
    How did you determine it was a Toaks pot? I don't see any branding on the product photo for the pot.

As for the weight — I'm at that point with which we are all familiar where I'm less interested in counting ounces and more about overall cost and utility. To me the difference between a 2.5oz pot and a 4oz pot is almost negligible, except that the latter is probably going to be a bit more durable over the long haul.

… so that's why I'm curious about these pots. They appear to be the best deal out there right now for ~0.7L pots.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I accidentally picked up one of the Toaks 375 ml mugs a while back…I meant to add it to my wish list on my Amazon account, but accidentally hit the "One Click Buy" button and then didn't realize it until I go the confirmation email a little while later. But hey, at least it was only $16! So, I figured what the heck…

The cup weighs 2.2 oz, as spec'd. It also comes with an orange stuff sack that is the very same orange stuff sack that came with my Backcountry.com 700 ml Ti cook pot, but this is not in the listed 2.2 oz weight.

The cup looks just fine, there are no dents or any obvious imperfections in it that I can find. The handles are attached by being slightly bent at the ends and then inserted behind the welded bracket on the outside of the cup.

IMO, the titanium is a bit thicker on the Toaks mug than the titanium that is used on both my BC.com 700 ml ti pot as well as my MLD 475 ml ti mug, which I imagine is where part of the extra weight comes in (other than from the handles). However, I have spoke with another person that has the 450 ml Toaks mug but he says that he thinks that the thicknesses on his Stoic 700 ml ti pot and the Toaks mug are the same… (This also makes me wonder if there may be a difference between the older BC.com ti pots and the newer Stoic ti pots.)

Also, I believe that the new Lite Trail cook pots may be the Toaks pots too… don't quote me on that though…

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

toaks-litetrail

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Ha! Question answered.

Well, so maybe my next question is … does somebody know of any current deal for a pot in this same size, equal or lesser weight, and at a better price?

… dunno if this inquiry ought to be in a different forum now, but figured I might check.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

The titanium on this pot definitely feels thicker than my Evernew 1.3L. Not that that's a problem. I bought this to move away from Foster's can pots, so it solves the durability/simplicity issue in spades. I'm at that same place too, where simplicity matters more than a few ounces.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product. The detailing on the lid is not quite as exact as my Evernew, but it more than fine, and the pot is otherwise very well made. I would imagine something similar on the 600 mL you found. Not to mention that you have those very excellent handles–though, I still can't come up with how they add nearly double the weight of a pot that is on 50 mL larger. I would guess that it's got to be a thicker wall.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Quick question about your 550 pot: how does the lid fit? I miss the old tight-fitting lid on my MSR Titan, and wish all pots would come like that so I wouldn't need to mess with a stuff sack.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

The lid rests well, but it is not tight like the Titan. It is just slightly loose.

I did some searching, and in that size range, the Evernew ECA 264 at 640 mL is your closest comparison. It's lighter (3.4 oz) with a rather large lid that could be replaced later with a Ruta Locura carbon fiber lid for a few more grams. You'd also have to wait for the shipment due in from Japan sometime next month for them to be available.

That said, all that would cost you a pretty penny in the long run, and I don't bet you'd save much more than an ounce at best. For $25, the Toaks is looking like a better and better deal.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Thanks for helping me out with the research :-)
    I think I'll go for the 600. Will think about it a bit, and post any more commentary here if/when I get a hold of it.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Thick titanium pots will be fuel inefficient, it is worth it to go thin in the long run.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Re: LiteTrail Ti

We contract a thin-wall ti that you won't find in the Toaks/Snow Peak/Backcountry products. It's more expensive because it has a higher flaw rate and is harder to shape.

By the way, we will have a thinwall 550 mL cookpot with handles early 2013; same specs as the one we sell now.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I think it was Dawson who I got a nice Evernew .6 pot from as other slightly smaller cups/pots were no where in sight. That will be my summer vacation bp trip setup with a Caldera Cone I acquired to fit it. I would liked to have been able to get a .550 cup/pot in my move to ever lighter stuff.
    LawsonEquipment.com
    Duane

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Thanks for the confirmation on the wall thickness Jhaura. I knew that this 375ml mug I had was much thicker than what I was used to seeing. And that will be interesting to see the upcoming pot with handles with the same specs…although, I am perfectly happy to use a pot without handles. In fact, the only pots I do have with handles are my Evernew pots…

And yes, I also picked up the last 0.6L Evernew pot that Lawson was selling…here is a write up I recently put on my blog in which it is included:

http://sticksblog.com/2012/11/25/another-cook-kit/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools