Topic

Thermoregulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Thermoregulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I do realise that this thread will be out of season for most readers. I just wanted to share some information that I recalled today.

I am about 6 months away from completing a biology degree and I was reading back over my human physiology notes from several years ago trying to find any information that may help with UL hiking. I came upon some useful information on thermoregulation.

See here for the paper by Ryan.

Ryan mentions that the feet are a real problem zone for losing heat. I would just like to add to this.

I was reading in my notes about a practical we had where we attempted to give a person hypothermia. This was controled of course. We did this by placing ice packs on the throat, ankles and wrists. The rate of conductive heat loss was really amazing. This lead me to thinking that it is possible to increase a persons core tempereature by provided significantly more insulation to these areas. Large amounts of blood flow through these areas and cause the conductive heat loss. The use of ankle and wrist warmers as well as a high power neck warmer with our insulative clothing might make heat retention in the body much more efficient. Possibly even requiring less insulation to areas that lose less heat. I have no facts to back this up yet, but I will be testing this through the winter.

This effect can work in reverse as well, if you were to spend more time trying to cool these areas off with water, heat loss would also be increased.

Thoughts anyone?

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

post pending verification of one piece of information.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In the treatment of heat stroke, ice packs may be applied to the neck, armpit, and groin. In the treatment of hypothermia, heat sources may be applied to the abdomen, axillae, and groin. The armpit and groin appear to be better than ankles and wrist in giving our colleagues hypothermia ; ).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools