Topic

Nunatak Arc AT + Skaha Plus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nunatak Arc AT + Skaha Plus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have been debating between the Arc AT/Skaha Plus combo or the FF Vireo/Hyperion combo. The Nunatak is lighter, even with the Epic fabric that I would choose. The Skaha would pull double duty as my Winter jacket whereas the Hyperion would be 3 season only. I looked at the Hooded Helios but the weight difference is too much.

Two things mandatory for me: Epic fabric and hood.

Anyone using these combos?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I'd be jealous of anyone I saw on the trail using the Nunatak setup that's for sure.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Christopher,

Back in 1995 I opted for FF to make my Vireo and Hyperion option (as I suggested in the other thread). I also opted for the Volant Hood as well. I opted for the combination in eVENT rather than Epic so my set-up is heavier. I upgraded everything to 800+ down and increased the Vireo by 2oz of 800+ overfill. I have the shorter Vireo (62" because I am only 5'6"). I also had FF put the flange on the Hyperion and snaps on the Hyperion, Volant Hood, and the Vireo. That way the Volant Hood can be used alone or snapped on either the Vireo or the Hyperion Jacket.

By the way if you did not see, FF offers a 15% discount if you purchase a Vireo at the same time as a FF jacket; the discount applies to both pieces so it is a substantial savings. The savings applies to any upgrades in fabric, down, and overfill.

My 62" FF eVENT Vireo with the 2oz overfill weighs 22.4oz; the L FF eVENT Hyperion Jacket weighs 16.4oz; and the eVENT FF Volant Hood weighs 3.4oz. Those weights include the appropriate flange and snaps.

Be aware that the Hyperion Jacket is a bit small and designed to fit like a Fleece sweater so if you want to use much additional clothing you may want to size up one size. With the Volant Hood, the jacket will be much warmer than without.

I like the set-up very much but have not used it that much. It is quite flexible. You may also find the Vireo a little tight for size, but if you read Ryan Jordan's Spotlight review of the Vireo, he indicates if it fits you well it is one of the best lightweight down options. It fits me fine including usage with the Hyperion Jacket with or without the Volant Hood.

If you want the system even lighter, ask FF about the new Nano option which would make the set-up lighter than the Epic. That I am sure will require that FF make the order from the ground up, but it may well be what you want.

By the way, due to the design and length and need for a warmer jacket, the Nunatak Arc AT and the Skaha Plus will not be nearly as flexible or as warm as the FF Vireo, Hyperion, and Volant Hood combination. The FF Hyperion (or other lighter vest or jacket) would be worn inside of the Vireo. Heavier jackets would fit outside. The Vireo has more down in the lower and foot box portion of the sleeping bag. The upper portion adds warmth that you can adjust by different size/loft jackets inside and out. The FF option has more fabric and down than the Nunatak option.

Rich

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

A big minus for me for the FF option is the weight. I had an Arc Ghost before and I really like the option of using it as a blanket or a warmer quilt. The only thing about the Vireo that turns me off is the lack of ventilation available. I can't sleep when I am too warm. I will be using the bag in NM and CO with night time ranging from the 50's to the low 20's.

I am going with the Epic for its durabilty. I had a Wild Things EP jacket and it was darn near bullet proof.

I think I need the adjustability of the quilt, I am 5'11 and range from 185 to 190 pounds.

The total weight of the Nunatal setup is less than 22oz. I think about the Arc Ghost but I don't know if I can justify the expense.

I really appreciate the input and insight.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Christopher,

What you can do if it is too warm is to carry a liner and possibly sleep in that with your jacket and some insulation for your lower body. Additionally, since the Vireo is an extended Climbers (Elephant Foot) bag you can wear the jacket and pull much or your body out of the bag and sleep with less body in the bag. By pulling yourself further out of the Vireo sleeping bag you will have a larger area to heat and less down above you (standard bag 3" at the upper part of the bag and 5" at the lower portion) (you can also move the down in the baffles).

Should be fairly flexible, but no question heavier, but a warmer option than the Nunatak.

By the way, I question the warmth claims for the Nuatak option with only 9.5oz of down. The basic FF option would have essentially 15oz.

Rich

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I have been very happy with this combination. I tend to sleep cold. It is flexible. I also roll around a lot, and the hood stays in the right position all night long.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Tim,

The weight of your option and the down fill is in line with that of the FF option that we have been discussing. The Nunatak system that Chris has suggested only has 9.5oz of down and a weight of about your sleeping bag alone.

Rich

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools