Topic

trying to help my GF pick out trail running shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) trying to help my GF pick out trail running shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I was wondering what seems to be popular with the ladies for ultralight backpacking. My GF has narrow feet and I'm trying to get her sorted out with some lighter shoes than her giant stomper hiking boots.

Last trip we took she managed to get two huge blisters and I would like to see that not happen again. she's worried about not having ankle support from her boots and I'm trying to convince her that trail runners are going to work great for her since we've gotten her base pack weight down to around 16 lbs from 30+ lbs.

I've been looking at the brooks cascadia 7 in womens,

Inov 8 roclite 275 gtx I think the sticky compound would be great, but wonder about the goretex lining

Does anyone know if there's a womans equivilant of the inov 8 trailroc 255 in womens?

-Loki

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have relatively high arches and a narrow foot and I love my salomon XA3D ultra 2. Dumbest name for a shoe ever, but the best hiking shoe I've ever worn.

They don't dry as fast as I'd like, but I think it's a trade off for the uber cushy insert that really cradles my foot. Love love love them.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> Does anyone know if there's a womans equivilant of the inov 8 trailroc 255 in womens?

I think the Trailroc 255's are supposed to be 'unisex'.

I recently got a pair of Montrail Rogue Fly's (trail runners); they fit like a dream. A little bigger differential than the 255's but maybe worth a look. Or the Rogue Racer for what seems like slightly better toe protection (though the Fly is more solid than it looks from the outside.)

Chris Grove

@clgrove

Locale: Colorado Front Range

I am a lady. I use trail runners for running, light mountaineering, and some backpacking.

The Brooks Cascadia 7 are suppose to be a great all-round trail runners. I know several people (including other ladies) who love them. The last pair I wore was the Cascadia 3 so my opinion is worthless.

I wear/love the Inov-8 Roclite 268. In theory, they are the non-GTX version of the the Roclite 275. While the last is the same, the upper is different and IMO does not fit as well as the 268. Both the 268 and 275 use the Inov-8 Woman's Comfort fit, which I find has a narrow heel and wide toe box. Inov-8's also have a low ankle cuff. She may poo-poo the shoes for the lack of ankle support.

You may also want to look at the Saucony Peregrines. I found the toe box a little narrow but it may be a better for your GF's foot. The upper is otherwise pretty good and I really likes the outer sole. The Peregrines are little bit more cushioned than the Inov-8. I prefer a more cushion shoe for backpacking.

REI carries both the Peregrine and Cascadia so that's nice too.

ChrisG

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

A classic! I have narrow feet and a relatively high arch. I do replace the insert with an OTC orthotic.

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

I and my partner both rock some vivobarefoot trail runners — she has the neo and I have the breatho. She has narrow feet and I have wide feet, and we're both happy. Great traction, great ground feel, and nice and light.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools