Topic

Cheap First Pack – Which of these

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cheap First Pack – Which of these

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nathaniel Taylor

@ntaylor1

I am hoping to do some weekend hikes this spring and I am looking for a cheap suitable pack. I am tall (6'3) and I hope to keep my base weight below 12lbs. That said I am also planning a ~10 day urban packing trip to Europe and I am hoping that I can use this pack for my clothes and necessities. Looking at the typical sites I have come up with these contenders:

GoLite Gust Pack – 3600ci – 20oz – $80

Jansport Helios Tall – 2950ci – 43oz – $70

Kelty Illusion – 3500ci – 55oz – $100

What do you guys think?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

golite

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I second the vote for the Gust–It's got a huge capacity for the weight and is a great price.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Given what you wrote, my pick would be none of the above. My thoughts:

1. The Gust is an awfully big pack for weekend hikes — espeicially since you have pared down your base weight to just 12 lbs!

2. For urban travel trips — where you leave your tent, bag, pad, cookset, hydration bladders, etc. at home — and add very small items like passport, tickets, some cash and cards, and maybe a guidebook — your gear weight and volume will be even less — a lot less!

As a comparison, I use a much smaller GoLite Dawn (2,000 ci main volume) for weekenders and just a bookbag (8-9 lbs total pack weight) for month-long travels to Asia, Africa and Europe.

One good option is the smaller GoLite Jam pack or Jam2 pack. No direct experience, but the latter's ability to shrink from weekender to daypack size may come in handy in your travels as well.

Kevin Lane

@paddster

Locale: western NY

check out the rei ultralight, one goes for around $50 or so. Also, do a search on orienteering gear, one site had Salomon Adventure Racing packs on sale for under $50. They are groovy

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I have a different opinion. You do not need one pack, you need two. Choosing one pack will leave you with a pack too big/heavy for a day hike, but too small to hold everything for a 10 day trip. (If I read your post correctly you want to use this as your sole luggage item for travels, carry-on probably).

However! I also noticed your price range is below $100, so we have to choose carefully..
    I would recommend the REI Flash ($25,17 liters,281 grams) as the day-hiker, AND a Golite Jam ($60,38L,600g). Total cost $85. These are both quality packs with a good reputation here at BPL. You can pack the Flash in the Jam for the trip, then leave the Jam and most your travel goods in the hotel and carry the Flash on your day-excursions.

Here's the $59.45 Jam.
    http://www.masseysoutfitters.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=5217&pf_id=PAAAAANNPIKIHPCN&ad_id=froogle&key_id=PAAAAANNPIKIHPCN&

If you want mesh pockets and a lid on your day pack, consider the Patagonia Lightweight Travel Pack, ($60,20L,281g)
    http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelid=67675&sourceid=GOOGFEED01

Or the Montbell Versalite 20, ($60,20L,350g)
    https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1303&hinban=1223267

You can stuff either of these into their own lid, then toss it in your Jam. I own the Versalite as my day-hiker, and prefer having the mesh pocket and lid for some of my "10 essentials".
    rei flashgolite jampatagonia lightweight travel packmontbell versalite 20

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Totally agree that a daypack is nice for both day hikes as well as urban day travels. The GoLite Jam 2 backpack mentioned above has a "Compactor system" that shrinks the pack from 3,000 cubic inches down to just 1,300 cubic inches – perfect for day hikes or day tours when one can leave the bulk of the gear inside the tent — or hotel.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

And I totally agree with Ben that if you could discipline yourself to packing everything for a long trip into a daypack sized sack as Ben does, that would be awesome; and you would only need one medium sized pack. Alas, I can not; and I need extra room for stuff I buy along the way..

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

I think both Ben and Brett have given sensible advice and their pack recommendations are pretty much what I would say. You'll be in good shape either way!
    -Mark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools