Topic

ULA Arctic 1000 Packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Arctic 1000 Packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Did anyone ever hear a review of the packs ULA made for the Arctic 1000 team? I am curious about that pack design–it seems quite flexible for both short and long hikes. Plus, no pack cover/liner required.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Brian of ULA Designs did take people's email addresses for possible contact if he ever finished making a public version of the packs, but so far no contact. Don't know if it will ever get off the ground. I'm currently making one of my own right now.

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

Aren't those beautiful packs? I would love to have one. I mentioned it a while back in a post but Brian said they were on the back burner. I wonder if he would take a bribe?

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

By June. I promise…unless Miguel beats me to it.

Brian

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

After I read up on the trip I wanted one of those packs. I wish they would make some for the public.

P.S. Put me on any list if one is created!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This is timely! Yes, we're going to move forward and make a batch for those that want them. They will be available here at BPL, as Brian said, "by June!" – Ryan

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Count me in for one of those. Would you happen to have any specs on them?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ryan:

Can you tell us more? Specs? Pics? Or will it be substantially the same as the pack described in your Arctic 1000 website (http://www.ryanjordan.com/2006_arctic/2006/05/backpacks_for_a.html)? Thanks in advance.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I was on the original list that Brian compiled. I'm still interested—-if a few only are being made, how will people be prioritized—-or will there be an announcement followd by an immense free-for-all scramble ( like the action at an Indian airline ticket counter) ?

Curious minds need to know.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Interested as well.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I still saved have my email saved where I requested to be on the list too :)

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

Please include me on the list for pre-orders.

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Do you guys ever get together for group buys?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

…. for a 23" torso, please.

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Folks-

I'll let Ryan chime in if he wants to address the details/specifics of the pack, but I will say that this will be a BPL specific model. ULA will not likely offer this pack as a standard in my line-up. As such, please direct comments and questions to the good Dr. :)

Ryan and I have discussed the pack a bit since the Arctic 1000 and have addressed concerns that came up with the original during the hike. Obviously after being on the back's of the likes of Roman, Jason, and Ryan there has been great feedback!

The real biggie for me and my satistfaction with the pack is simply that I've had more than a few weeks (like the original) to brainstorm, design, and sew the version that will be available…not being pressed with an actual timeline has naturally resulted in a much better end result.

Anyway, I still have the list of names, etc from last year. I'll likely forward that to Ryan at some point or send a mass e-mail as to the availability, etc.

In regard to order priority, etc I am hopeful that the initial run of packs will take care of everyone that has been so patient and had an interest in the design. Obviously that is BPL's call on how to handle that.

To be frank I am not really sure when the stars will re-align for ULA to have the time to do this again, so if interested, I'd encourage you to make yourself known.

Brian

kevin davidson

@kdesign

thanks Brian.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

My name is on the email list with Brian, but just to make sure, I'd like to be on the list with Ryan. Definitely a pack I want. I've been sketching designs for a harness pack for about three years now and I must say it's very hard to come up with anything much better than what I've already seen with Ryan's Arctic 1000 photos. I'm really curious as to what the problems were that Ryan, Roman, and Jason found during their walk and Brian had to work out during his rethinking of the design. Was it problems with the stability of the harness when the drysack was underfilled? Problems with accessing water bottles located in the rear pockets? Or problems with the "roundness" of the drysack when inflated? Or anything to do with the "stickiness" of the interior of the drysacks, making them hard to get gear into or out of (very hard to get a CC ground pad in there!)? These are all things I've been wrestling with, so I'm curious to hear opinions from actual use out in the field.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

I am extremelly interested in one of these. Might even want two!

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

I'm on the original list too, and I'm still interested.
    Paul

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I'm not on the original list but I'm very interested. I hope BPL orders enough. If there's a list, add my name.

Robert McGaughey

@havoc

Locale: North Texas

I too am interested in one of these packs. Please add my name to the list as well, if there is one. Thanks

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

It seems like a lot of people are intersted. Is there a way we can get this worked out, or are they going to be first come first serve on the website? If there is a list, I'm interested too.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Michael Freyman
    BPL Member

@mfreyman

I am really interested too … I even already have the dry sack ready to go!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 167 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools