Topic

I need your help picking out gear for my beloved girlfriend!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need your help picking out gear for my beloved girlfriend!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Josh Greninger

@travis-bickle

Well, my girlfriend and I have been talking about going hiking together for a while. She doesn't really have any gear to speak of. I figured it'd be nice to take advantage of some of the sales going on this weekend. So, it's time for a shopping spree (with my girlfriend's money). Ugh, it's so much easier spending my own ;)

As far as weather conditions go: southern CA with frequent trips to San Jacinto wilderness, Gorgonio, and ultimately the JMT in '13.

Here's what we're looking at buying today. A * indicates which one I'm leaning toward. Feel free to recommend items not on the list. Thanks in advance for your help! I'm not good at picking out women's gear – just trying to apply what I know about men's gear.

(~$100) Rain Jacket: Patagonia Torrentshell / Montbell Rain Trekker* / Golite Tumalo

($150 or less) Down Jacket: Rab Microlight / MontBell Ultralight Down Parka / Alpine Light* / Ex Light

($50 or less) Midlayer: Patagonia Cap 3 / Ibex Indie Hoody / Arcteryx Delta / Icebreaker 200*

Baselayer: Rab Aeon LS

Shoes: Inov8 Roclite 268

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I picked up a pair of Women's La Sportiva Raptors on STP today for $42. Those might be worth a look. I used the 45% link they sent in the mail this morning.

For the down piece, I really like my Stoic Hadron. It's on sale at Backcountry, and you can get the 14% refund if you go through Fatwallet.com. You might find the Stoic Hadron on Gear Trade, I bought mine there for $88 a couple months ago

Two layering pieces I'm drooling over are the Rab Aurora & Ibex Indie Hoody. I've been tracking their prices for several months, and today is the lowest price I have seen on either piece. If you go for a Ibex hoody, I would recommend getting her normal size in a top. I normally wear a medium in a top, and I recently bought a large so I could layer under it. It turns out- the large was too large. So I would say they run true to size.

If money was not object- I would buy some Melanzana pieces..their microgrid hoody is pretty affordable.

Lots of good options for 150 weight merino on STP as your base layer. If I were you, I would spend the majority of your time on their website today. They really are running some good deals with that 45% sale.

You have a long shopping list- good luck!

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I can recommend the Montbell Alpine light down jacket (I also have the MB down inner, but find the Alpine Light quite a bit warmer for just a couple more ounces)–I believe I saw it on sale at Campsaver.com in your price range.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I'd start at L L Bean. Great gear (often made for Bean's by very high-end manufacturers), reasonable prices, and shipping is included in the prices. I think they have a 10 or 155 off sale this weekend plus $10 gift card for anything over $50.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'dook closely at the Eddie Bauer WPB rain parka. Excellent breathability and they publish the numbers to back it up. Also the REI Kimtah eVent parka is sometimes on at least a 20% sale. I love mine.

Cabela's as their GTX PacLite parka and pants at $100. each but they may be on sale this weekend or Cyber Monday. I have had both for years and they are very well made with lots of nice features.

REI's light internal frame Flash backpacks get high ratings here and in Backpacker Magazine.

If you get a synthetic fill sleeping bag I'd recommend Climashield fill as the most durable for loft retention. Campmor has some decent down bags, just don't expect 800 fill quality at their prices.

As for a sleeping pad, the women's version of Thermarest Prolite regular would give her the comfort she'll need to want to do repeat trips with you. Do not skimp here.

Oh, yeah: Eddie Bauer often has their excellent down sweaters (in my avatar) on sale. She'll LOVE you giving her that for Christmas.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

That's a lot of money for a baselayer.

Elizabeth Elvin

@celadon0102

I'd recommend getting her a really good, lightweight pack. I've been through all kinds and the best is the Hyperlite Mountain Gear line. I have a Windrider 2400 that I use as both a daypack and multi-day pack. It's waterproof so there's no need for a pack cover. It's super lightweight and just fits well.

I find as a woman, being able to carry my own gear is important, but so is keeping it as light as possible so that I can keep up with men.

HMG packs are all made in Maine; they make stuff sacks too for keeping gear organized. Here's the link: http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/packs.html

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

You gf may be very tolerant but I suggest you consult before buying – not so much about performance but about colours – if it doesn't tone your in the doghouse (in my experience (: )

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

how did the shopping go? Just curious if you found any good deals this weekend.

I know I did. I finally found a lightweight I/O Bio merino hoody I like. Picked it up for $50 on Evo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools