Topic

Nice flexible two person setup with EE quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nice flexible two person setup with EE quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff N
    Spectator

@newtrout

Locale: Pacific NW

I've been extremely happy with my 20 degree RevX quilt from Tim. I've been using a Big Agnes 2 person 15 degree down bag on family trips, but I've been unimpressed with the weight and warmth.

I asked Tim about the possibility of connecting two quilts for two-person use. I ended up having him make me an extra large custom 10 degree long quilt (~ 8 inches wider than his 'wide' size throughout. I use my RevX 20 degree wide on bottom, and the extra wide 10 degree long on top. I attach the two using 'slickclips' from Zimmerbuilt's hardware section. The 20 degree quilt is ~25 oz, and the custom 10 degree is about 32 oz. Both are overstuffed.

The result is that the extra wide quilt naturally tucks around the sides to attach to the narrower bottom quilt. The longer quilt on top gives you excess material to tuck around your neck and prevent drafts, since you can no longer cinch the top with two people.

For pads, I've gone with two Klymit Inertia X frame pads connected with two small pieces of two-sided velcro. With full bottom quilt coverage, the Klymit pads have been comfy into the teens.

The extra large 10 degree bag is also just the right size to cinch up tight for solo use as a fully wrapped cold weather bag.

I'm very happy how well these two quilts adapt to many different conditions.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Pics please! I had forgotten about this.

Jeff N
    Spectator

@newtrout

Locale: Pacific NW

I was most concerned about drafts at your feet. The only way to close off the foot box with the quilts connected is to cinch up both footbox cords at the bottom. I thought this would make the footbox too tight for two people, but we found that drafts are eliminated by only cinching down the footbox partially. The pads keep some sideways pressure that keeps the bottom cinched opening taut and draft free. Your feet end up being closer together than your upper body, but it isn't cramped.

Unattached so you can see size difference. If I were to do it again, I would go with a smaller bottom quilt so you would get more tuck. But, with shared body heat we haven't had an issue.
    quilts unattached

Matched up snaps
    quilt attachment

Slickclip attachment
    slickclip attachment

How sides tuck when laid flat
    tucked top quilt

overview

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

That's pretty cool. I guess if you get too cold you do have two quilts still you could use separately if needed. It's pretty fun

-Tim

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Love the idea of two quilts for maximum versatility. I'm considering doing something like this, but combining a 0F with a 20F, for hopefully close to -20F warmth. Not sure if it will work but I am optimistic.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools