Topic

Coyote Gulch in a Civic?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Coyote Gulch in a Civic?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

Hey all,
    I am planning on taking a Christmas road trip down to the Grand Canyon with some stops along the way. One place that caught my eye is Coyote Gulch. I'm hoping I can get to Red Well or Hurricane Wash trailhead and hike in from there. However, I read that you sometimes need high clearance vehicles for the Hole-In-The-Rock road. Is it possible to get to one of these trailheads in my Civic? How much snow can I expect there to be on the road?

Also, I'm up for any other side trip suggestions. I've got 3 or 4 days to see the sights before getting to the GC.

Thanks!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I was just down there a few weeks ago and the lowest clearance car I saw was a Subaru Outback. It was a few days after some good rains and the last section past Dry Fork Coyote was in the worst shape with one wash stacked with rocks for vehicles to get across. It changes fast though. Call the Interagency Visitor Center in Escalante and they can give you current conditons 435-825-5499. Any kind of precipitation makes that road really slippery, I wouldn't want to drive it with any snow on it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The wash crossings are more likely to be in bad shape late in the year, and even if they aren't the washboard will punish a Civic hard. Probably doable for the careful, just check your lugnuts when you get back to the pavement (seriously).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

… just check your lugnuts …Before… you head back to the pavement (seriously).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools