Topic

Drying wet gear … inside a down sleeping bag…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Drying wet gear … inside a down sleeping bag…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

eVent-type bag inside a garbage bag. Put your wet stuff into the eVent, the eVent into the plastic and the whole thing goes into the down sleeping bag with you.

Works, or since you heat the whole thing up the vapor transpires both ways? What about outside the down bag in the cold, but with a handwarmer inside with the wet stuff … ?

What about an eVent bag liner inside of a VBL inside of a down bag? Trap all the moisture between the eVent and the VBL…

Thoughts?

-mox

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice thought, but I wouldn't expect much except to find warm-ish wet stuff in the morning. You need a lot more air flow to get the moisture out.

I've heard of people wearing *damp* clothing and their body heat drying it out, but that moisture is going to go into the insulation. If the outer air is dry and not too cold, you might pull it off with a down bag. In a cold/high humidity climate I would expect goose flavored oatmeal for a sleeping bag in the morning. Everything will be wet and cold.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What Dale said.

Cheers

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Sounds reasonable.

What about the second case of sleeping inside an eVent bag liner inside of a VBL? (The weight tradeoff vs just going synthetic notwithstanding…)

-mox

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive worn damp (damp, not sopping wet) clothing under a down quilt before, and dried up nicely with no effect on the quilt, in humid climate. But I made a point to keep the quilt pretty loose. Tossing and turning etc will move the air around too.

I certainly wouldnt try it all buttoned up.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Ditto to what Dale and Roger said.

If my hiking clothing gets wet, I do put it in a zippered plastic bag at the bottom of my sleeping bag. It's not any drier in the morning, but at least it's warm when I put it on! Since I don't have to heat up the clothing when I put it on, my body heat gets some more of the moisture out while I'm packing up inside the tent.

You can dry wet clothing by wearing it inside your sleeping bag, but most of the moisture will get absorbed by the down, considerably reducing its insulating efficiency. It might be OK if it isn't too cold (like well above freezing) and if you're going home the next morning! The same is true of synthetic sleeping bags–the insulation won't absorb quite as much moisture as down, but it will absorb some.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Event bag in a garbage bag? I haven't heard of that before. It would be easy to test, just put some wet clothes in the event bag and in the garbage bag and sleep in your sleeping bag one night. If it actually works, then it's something that I would use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools