Topic

Tyvek for a water bucket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tyvek for a water bucket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Does anybody know if I can use house tyvek to make a bucket for carring water back to camp and then filtering it in camp? And is there any risk of chemicals leaching out from the tyvek into the water?

Thanks, Jack

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I don't know about tyvek, but I made one out of silnylon. I cut about a 25 to 30" diameter circle of sil and sewed a 1" double layer reinforcing rim on it from heavier sil and then sewed a double layer 1" handle on it. Weighs .8oz and will hold over 1 gallon. I use about a 6" or so chord with loops in each end and mini biner to hang it from a tree limb or whatever.

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

Yes, you can use housewrap. The lighter Tyveks will leak if touched and full of water, but I haven't seen this with housewrap.

I do not believe anything will leech into the water. It's a spun poly-olefin (think, a plastic layer of cotton-candy-webbing) and I don't think any of it will leech out. I am not 100% sure, though. Maybe someone with a better chem/materials background can shed light here.

-mox

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

I have used Tyvek housewrap as a bucket, mostly for putting out the campfire in BWCAW. I dont know about leaching etc but it definitely doesnt leak. I have also used it as a pack liner – It is really just a large stuff sack.

I use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. I form a "tube" with the Tyvek, then fold the bottom up like a Christmas package and roll the top down to make a channel for a draw cord.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools