Topic

E-Blanket, do you carry one, why or why not?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion E-Blanket, do you carry one, why or why not?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Lynn Franchow

@jfranchow

Locale: The Great Basin

Hi all,

In the last 10 years, I've always carried an emergency space blanket. Never once used it. It weighs a "paltry" 3 oz, but I'm considering eliminating it from my kit.

Wondering what others are doing out there. Who carries one all the time? Who never carries one? Why or why not? Just for dayhikes?

Assuming that I keep my sleeping system dry, why would I carry one while backpacking?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Alec Muthig

@alekat

Locale: Wyoming, USA

I almost always carry my mylar emergency bag and have actually used it a few times (for others who were injured). The only time I do not carry mine is if I have some other form of protection with me, like a bivy.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I tend to leave it out of the kit for 3 season hiking. Even for longer dayhikes I tend to carry more than enough clothing to keep me alive (probably not warm) if I was stuck out overnight.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I don't carry one for backpacking but do carry one for dayhikes, especially in the shoulder seasons. It's part of my "just in case I need to spend the night kit"

My basic emergency kit is a 6 oz thermolite emergency bivy, the space blanket, a Golite poncho tarp, and a Montbell thermawrap jacket plus the usual small doodads. I figure that will provide sufficient shelter and protection for an unexpected night out.

I've heard that a really good use for these blankets is to reflect the heat from a fire, which is the primary reason I carry mine, given that I also have the bivy.

Mine is orange on one side so it's good incase somebody needs to find you.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Not any longer. I carry a sleeping bag, insulated clothing (in cooler weather), a bivy, a tarp, and usually a 1.3 oz. groundcloth. I just can't find a reason in my kit to carry one more just-in-case piece of gear that overlaps so much with the system that I already have. With the multiple insulating layers and a couple of shelter components I don't feel the need for an emergency blanket. YMMV.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I used to carry one, but my BPL derived knowledge of layering systems has replaced the need for a space blanket. I always carry insulation and a shell now.
    I do loan them out to hiking companions, along with other essentials.

However, as the previous posters suggested, using them to help prevent shock for an accident victim, or reflecting fire heat are great uses; I think I'll keep one with my first aid kit from now on.

Yet another learning experience here.

Jeremy Lynn Franchow

@jfranchow

Locale: The Great Basin

Thanks for the great responses. It does seem to be a redundant piece of gear when backpackng and my system on a long dayhike is enough that I would survive an unplanned night out.

Perhaps similar to Brett, however, I wasn't approaching this from the emergency/first aid angle. The possibility of it having value in an emergency for a friend or fellow hiker is worth 3 oz. to me. It stays in the kit. Thanks again for all the great input!

Deb dePeyster

@trudy

I always carry one for winter camping. I use it between the tent floor and my Ridgerest and it adds a lot of warmth.

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

I use mine as a groundsheet, so it's not an unused piece of gear. Although I'm soon gonna include a bivi in my kit, than I might leave it at home.

But I also do not have sufficient convidence in a leightweight clothing system yet so maybe it's better to keep it in my pack.

Eins

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools