Topic

Running Question — Ankle Lockup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Running Question — Ankle Lockup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Serious post. There are some really serious runners on BLP, maybe someone knows the answer.

10 minutes into a run my ankles start to lockup. I feel them getting tighter and tighter until I cannot bend them. I have to walk like Frankenstein for about 10 minutes until they loosen. I warm up, stretch, … and no difference. I can start off slow or fast, it does not seem to matter. Pretty depressing. My shoes are gel nimbus, which are pretty soft. I run on the sidewalks. I did try a dirt track, but same problem. I can do p90x plyo with no problem, it just seems to be running.

I am thinking it has something to do with the date on my driver's license. Well, yes, this is a new phenomenon.

I will try a bike ride Thursday and see if they lock. TIA.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm interested to know if they then unlock, and allow you to continue running?

And are you a previous runner, or have you recently take it up?

Rod

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Rod — I've never been much of a runner. I like to do a 2 mile run two times a week in the AM.
    I can't stand running. Anyway, this has dropped to nothing since I usually have to stop.
    This started a year or two ago, first infrequent and now frequent. Once they unlock, I cannot start again, they will freeze up. I think running is done.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Hi Tim,

When you say your ankles eventually "unlock," what loosens up? Do you have tight calves? When you run, do you land more on your forefoot or more on your heel?

Mike

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

First question is going to be, where is the tightness? There are a number of tendons that run from the foot and through the ankle up the leg. The one I'd suspect first is the FHL which starts at your big toe, runs through your heal (under your achilles tendon) and up the back of your leg to your knee.

Mine is abraded and periodically swells in my left foot. When this happens my ankle cannot move, but I feel tightness in my big toe.

The achilles tendon on the other hand does not anchor past the heal. My understanding is that it runs outside the ankle as well so even if it shouldn't lock your ankle up.

PF can make people do strange things too, but never heard of it affect an ankle like this.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. Stop running for now.
    2. Go see a sports medicine MD.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools