Topic

DriDucks vs. O2 gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DriDucks vs. O2 gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dale Caldwell
    Spectator

@dalemc

Locale: Coastal Georgia

I haven't tried either but both look light and cheap. Any recommendations or comparisons on these two products is appreciated. I know DriDucks are popular on here but I want to know whether or not O2 is a better option. Thanks!

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast
    Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've tried both DriDucks and O2 Rainshield. In my opinion, the O2 gear is much better built, more comfortable, more breathable, and quite a bit more durable. My set in large cost about $20 a piece for pants and jacket on Amazon, and weighs 4.15 oz. pants, 6.0 oz. jacket. The O2 seems to tolerate pack straps well, and packs quite compactly. The jacket is breathable enough that it could also act as a wind shirt if needed.
    Jim

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would agree that the O2 has an edge over DriDucks… but I wouldn't say that it was a huge advantage. Maybe +10%

–Mark

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Don't these particular products take up a lot of room in the pack? I have a set of Frogg Toggs I carry in my car, and seems to me like it isn't very compressible. I use a Marmot Crystalline jacket and a Go-Lite Tumalo pants, and they don't take up much room in my pack at all.

Maybe I just need to squish the Frogg Toggs more?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Using the stuff bag that the 02 Rain Gear came in….both the top and bottoms squish down to the size of a cantalope.

Not huge, but not small either.

I am sure if I put it in a compression bag, I could squish it down further with no ill effects on the material.

-Tony

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

Frogg Toggs do not pack down small but DriDucks pack and O2's pack down much smaller. My DriDucks pack down about half the size of Frogg Toggs which is the main reason that I replaced my Frogg Toggs with DriDucks.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

They are okay as rainwear, but after couple of day hikes in our Columbia Gorge trails, I already see few holes in the jacket.

Anonymous
    Inactive

More than an edge Mark, in my experience. My O2 Rainshield lasted several years and resistant to brush but the Dri Ducks ripped, flayed and turned to shreds the first hour of use on a clear and brushed trail. I paid half as much for the Dri Ducks but it didn't measure to even that value in use. Just my experience to a prospective buyer of cheap rain gear.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Sounds like there might be some production problems with the Dri Ducks. My experience (with several pairs of both) are more like Mark's. In general though, anyone buying any Propore (made by anyone) should assume that it is as fragile as tissue paper (but extremely water proof and breathable).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools