Topic

Art Loeb Trail backcountry sites.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Art Loeb Trail backcountry sites.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

I am looking to do a quick and dirty overnighter on the Art Loeb Trail in a few weeks. The plan is for myself and 2-4 other guys (depending on schedules) to drive up together, hike from the Davidson River Campground, and backcountry camp. Hike back out in the morning. Most of us are just really itching to get out and see some winter vistas and camp, but don't multiple days to be gone.

Since we might not make it to the shelter (forget the name) at the 8.6 mile mark, and not having done this trail before, I just want some security in knowing there are either some backcountry camp sites or a decent amount of relatively flat areas dispersed along the first 5-10 miles of trail where we can reliably locate a spot to call it a day when the group is ready.

Anyone familiar enough with this area to chime in?

As far as gear setups, some might bring tarp, a small tarp and bivy (myself) and overall everyone be kind of self sufficient in what they carry. I'm thinking flat enough for a few people and not on an exposed bald are good enough for me.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Here's an idea that includes a nice stretch of the lower or eastern Art Loeb near Davidson River and makes a loop with no backtracking, good early-on camping spots and 2 of the bare granite lacoliths or monadnocks or whatever they are properly called.

Go to the fish hatchery. Take the Butter Gap trail up towards Butter Gap; it runs along Grogan Creek most of the way and has lots of nice level spots with water. Then the next day take the Art north past Cedar Rock (if you want to climb it (you should!) best approached from the north after you've hiked all the way round the east side ……. I think……. I tried it in winter from the south near butter Gap and got stymied by ice on the steep rock……. After that hike back to the starting point via Johns Rock.

This is a reasonably short route and kind of cherry-picks some of the best scenery for that section plus no worries about camping spots along Grogan Creek pretty close to the starting point

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Awesome, I will consider that route. I am assuming the fish hatchery has parking?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools