Topic

The Trail Show #6 – The Grand Enchantment Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web The Trail Show #6 – The Grand Enchantment Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Today we bring you Episode #6 – The Grand Enchantment Trail
    #6 is our Thanksgiving Show. On this episode we discuss a new segment of the CDT,
    the future of thru-hiking, running the Hardrock Trail 100 with special guest "Hearsay", some bonus audio from last month's interview with "

Pepper", Scott "Squatch" Herriott's "Tales from the Trail" live via satellite link from Weed, California, a new segment featuring the

Noodlehead's Top 10 and Mags' review of the film "The Wildest Dream."

And as always … Beer O' Da Month, Ask-A-Hiker with D-low, Trail O' Da Month, Trail News with Mags, and Ask-A-SheHiker with P.O.D.
    Thanks again for tuning in and for supporting the podcast by subscribing via iTunes!! Give us a 5-Star rating while you're over at iTunes.

Today's show is sponsored by The Trail Show Cafe Press Online Store. Get all the great new Trail Show schwag right now! (http://www.cafepress.com/thetrailshow)

http://www.thetrailshow.com
    http://www.twitter.com/trailshow
    http://www.facebook.com/thetrailshow

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the update that #6 is available…I'll pull it in and listen to it today. I listened to the other five back-to-back-to-back – at times I think some video postings might be appropriate to help clue in the clueless.

Your format is great and, while I don't think you explained it completely, your "more beer, less gear" is understandable. I'm guessing you didn't want to become another outlet for gear junkies to tell you why you don't know what you're talking about in regards to one piece of gear or another.

With that said, a nice addition to the show might be highlighting a particular piece of gear (just one per show) that one of you finds particularly useful. Explain what it is, how you use it, the type of trail/trip where you'll carry it, etc. Avoid the word "best" and focus on "useful".

You cover a beer each month – most of which are unavailable where I live (in Lancaster, PA [Amish Country – but don't get me started on that])…Why not one piece of useful gear? At least gear I can buy on the internet!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

THat's a good idea, we should explain on the air why we don't do gear reviews.

I can't speak for my friends, but for me personally, there are enough gear review sites on the internet. Our format is more like a bunch of friends getting together, talking about the trails and why we love it. Think of it as a campfire or just sitting at the trailhead post-hike having a cold one. Can't think of the last time I discussed a piece of gear post hike/climb/ski.

Gear (again, at least for me) is the least important part of the outdoors experience. Not to say it is not important, but there are other things more important. It is important to have a good kitchen knife…but having fresh ingredients, knowing how to heat things right, adding the right spices, good company, and some tasty wine to go with it all is more important than the knife.

That's how I feel about gear. I need it. I can discuss it. I have my favorites. But there are other parts of the outdoors I love more.

Having said that, we did our first gear review…of sorts. ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools