Topic

DIY Dog Backpack Help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIY Dog Backpack Help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I'm wanting to make a dog pack for my 36lb dog. I'm not so much about style of the pack as I am for practicality and comfort for her. Let's face it, she doesn't care how it looks but she does care when one side of it is dragging on the ground and one side is on her spine. :)
    That being said, the Ruffwear line of packs looks like it accomplishes everything I'm looking for, as well as style.
    Has anyone here tried this or have any insight on the subject? A pattern would be ideal.
    Thanks in advance!

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

The ruff wear approach is a fantastic pack. My dog wore hers for over 1400 miles on the AT. It's a bit expensive but absolutely worth it.

I've thought about making my own version but have shied away from the idea now. The approach is just too good!

The problem is that dogs can't give you feedback on what to change so you may not find out until your dog has a blister from the straps.

Then again. It could be fun!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The Ruffwear bag does look good. It may not be too hard to draw up a pattern if you have an eye for details, but I imagine it will take you about four times as long as you think (that's at least how things have gone for my MYOG projects).

Maybe I'll try this soon, though, with something tough and light like DP VX-21. It's a great idea, and something that would only lightly affect my hiking if I have to carry my dog's stuff. It's not like she couldn't come along until it's made.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Yea if any retailers sold the Ruffwear approach around me I would be all over it. Unfortunately I can't get it in my hands to get the measurements without purchasing online.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have the RuffWear palisades for my 70# golden mutt…I'm not at all a do-it-yourselfer, but if you'd like me to measure anything from that pack I certainl could help out….

Just let me know what you'd want (noting that I know NOTHING about sewing…)

Cheers!

Jen.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools