Topic

Rae lakes and Sixty lakes basin in Dec?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Rae lakes and Sixty lakes basin in Dec?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone tried doing the Rae lakes loop in Dec?
    Is roads end even open then? Any avalanche danger at that point?

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I tried to do this 2 weeks ago, but was told by the park information that the road is closed on Nov 3rd. No matter what the weather conditions are, thats just a pre-set date that they set. You may be able to enter from Onion Valley over Kearsage Pass.

Let me know what you do.

Jack

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Christopher Jack is correct. Hwy 180 is closed prior to Kings Canyon. You would be hiking about 20 miles to get to Roads End…with that said, you can access the area via Onion Valley or Baxter Pass. There are a few routes that skiers take to get over the Sierra Crest. Also take into account that if you do go over from Onion Valley, that you will have to either go south towards Barstow to get to Hwy 395 or to Lake Tahoe to access Hwy 395 as Hwy 120 is closed for the season.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys. I figured it was too crazy to try, just thought I'd ask.
    I'll probably end up snowshoeing in hetchhetchy instead around that timeframe.
    Anyone have any other suggestings for winter fun in emigrant?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Christopher, Hetch Hetchy is below snow level. Glacier Point Rd. and trails offer great opportunities
    Emmigrant has Dodge Ridge, or at the Hwy 108 closure. Hwy 4 at Bear Valley offers many opportunities. I am putting together a snowshoe trip that is an overnighter if you are interested. No experience required. It's in the Pre Trip Planning section under Sierra Snowshoe

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

I heard there was a good snowshoe loop from Hetchhetchy up to Tilden lake… Was I mistaken?
    I might be interested in that Yosemite trip. I'll check my schedule.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools