Nov 17, 2012 at 2:12 pm #1296157
This year, I have upgraded my winter stove setup (the old one can be found here)
The goal is to build a system powerful enough for melting snow, includes a base so that it can be used on snow and is easy to set up and operate. This setup can be made lighter by replacing the pot and windscreen with titanium ones, but I do not use it often enough to invest into it more.
The stove base is made of thin, quality plywood laminated with aluminium foil. When folded, it fits insides the pot:
Folding wings increase the surface area and support the windscreen:
The stove used is the Primus Spider Express. The legs of the stove fit onto pins on the base and the spring visible on the previous photos clamps it securely:
I wanted to switch the stove on and off easily and without removing the windscreen, so I added a piezo ignition to the stove. The igniter is made from a piezo lighter, teflon-insulated wire along the fuel tube conducts the spark to the burner:
A teflon insulator connects the wire to the rod extending close to the burner:
The windscreen is folding so that it fits inside the pot, loosely rolled inside along the wall. High temperature kapton tape serves as the hinge:
Tape hinge and snaps connecting the ends:
Assembled stove and the windscreen:
Everything was made to fit MSR Alpinist pot:
The setup in use:
Windscreen is stored inside the pot:
The base fits in too:
Everything is stored in the pot and ready to be packed:
Nov 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm #1929236
Stephen MBPL Member
@stephen-mLocale: Way up North
Very nice Jan,
You could have a nice sideline selling these for different stoves.
What kind of weight is the board and wind shield?Nov 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm #1929292
Dan YeruskiBPL Member
The tape hing is working very nicely. When it's opened there is an oposite curl to one piece and yet it looks so nice and even in a full diameter around the stove….coool! How many flexes do you think it will withstand?Nov 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm #1929308
Jeffs ElevenBPL Member
Hope you have better luck with your spider than others and I did.
Had to go with the Windpro. (and LOVE it)Feb 25, 2013 at 6:56 am #1958425
I have fixed the stove to prevent the problem mentioned here as I described here.Feb 27, 2013 at 6:26 am #1959177
That is a Great job!!Feb 27, 2013 at 9:52 am #1959248
Jason HungBPL Member
how about drew some holes on the plate to reduce bit of weight?
Going to make one for my Epresslander tooFeb 27, 2013 at 11:00 am #1959280
Kevin BeedenBPL Member
Whilst I love the look of the Kapton tape hinge, I'd be concerned about its longevity.
An alternative way of making a two-part windscreen is to use my flissure joint. Again, whilst the poppers are beautiful, I suspect they're a little vulnerable, and a simple slot-and tab joint might be easier and more robust.
Both features can be found in my windscreen template that Zen is now hosting:Feb 28, 2013 at 10:31 am #1959727
I know the tape is a weak point, but I wanted to try it. I like that it makes the wind screen one piece and that it is quick and convenient to use. If it fails, I'll look for some other solution. I have used it on two trips so far an it it still looks like new.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.