Topic

Smokies in the winter: any tips on our setup?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Smokies in the winter: any tips on our setup?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JH
    BPL Member

@ic32987

Hi everyone,

I am hiking the AT SOBO (presently), and got a late start. I am writing now from Harpers Ferry. I am looking for any advice on how I should be adjusting my gear for the mountains from here on south. For what it's worth, I am mildly warm at night now in the ~25-28 range, but occasionally chilly when I get drafts with my quilt. I am also mostly a shelter sleeper, but I carry a tarptent.

Shelter:
    TT Stratospire 2 (shared with one other)

Quilt:
    EnLIGHTened Eq. Rev. X down quilt, 20 degree with 30% over stuff

Clothing:
    Light wool baselayer pants and top
    Thin off brand fleece pull over
    Patagonia Nanopuff
    Dri-ducks UL2 rain suit
    Stoic Wraith wind shirt
    Some type of REI hiking pants and button shirt

I hike in trail runners (inov-8 Flyroc 310) with light wool socks.

I'm curious if I should be looking at bag liners, gaiters, neoprene socks, crampons/traction aid, or anything of the such.

Thanks!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Jared:

My son Alex (Scarecrow) is about 2-3 days south of you SOBO. He got a late start too. I am meeting him at Front Royal tomorrow. I am hiking with him through to Thanksgiving. We might see you in Shenandoah. What's your trail name?
    I just got him a 10 degree EE quilt that I think will be enough. I would want something a little warmer than the 20 degree quilt.
    Other than the warmer quilt, he is carrying similar gear. We both carry tarps instead of a TT though.
    I can't think of anywhere in the southern AT where you'll need crampons. Gaiters may be nice when the snow hits. I never wear neoprene socks, but if there's a lot of snow, could be helpful. Or you might see very little snow in southern Appalachia. Its different every year. I think a pair of light gaiters are probably a good precaution.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Ben, that is cool that you get to share part of the adventure with your son. Enjoy.

Jared,

I agree with Ben on the quilt and gaiters. I wouldn't use crampons, but some microspikes would be nice if you have ice. You have a couple good places to pick up gear on the south (Damascus, Hot Springs, Asheville(before smokies, but a longer drive), so monitor the weather before hitting the smokies, roan mtn, mt rogers, etc

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Brad, its pretty funny we have such different views on politics but so similar views on hiking the southern AT in December. Probably means we are better at backpacking thab politics. And it is pretty cool to get to hike some of the AT with him. He's just 19 but pretty independent. I got to do the northern Maine section with him too.

Jared, hope to see you on the trail. We'll be the tall thin father/son pair on the trail. Ill be there tomorrow thru Thanksgiving

JH
    BPL Member

@ic32987

Ben:

I have not met your son, but I have been following his posts in the register for weeks and weeks. I am (or was until yesterday) hiking with a kid, Waffles, who found and kept a green straw hat at a shelter months ago. We've always wondered if it was Scarecrows? It's too funny that you're the first to reply to my post. Oh, and I see your location is KY? My family lives in Danville.

If I can escape town, it'd be great to run into you guys on the trail! My trail name is Bubble Boy, but I most often just write in the logs under my first name.

Brad:

Appreciate the advice on microspikes and places to pick up gear. Will write these down.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Jared, I will be in Front Royal Virginia tonight. Hopefully we will see you on the trail.
    I have a lot of friends and family in Danville Kentucky. I'm sure we know some of the same people.
    See you on the AT

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You didn't say if you are primarily staying in shelters but if you are then you may want to consider a warmer pad. Because of the cool air below the floor you may want a warmer pad. As far as wind protection, you could a bivy. It will also add a few degrees to your sleep system. Hope you have a great finish.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Jared, the hat is Scarecrow 's. Spent a beautiful few days in Shenandoah with him and doing a zero with him for Thanksgiving. Have fun.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools