Topic

OR users: torsoflo any good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OR users: torsoflo any good?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I've been wondering about the Torsoflo pitzips on some of the Outdoor Research jackets. On the one hand it looks like a good idea, because one can buckle the hip belt under the shell and allow for better ventilation. On the other hand, it seems like that would just be perfect for allowing rain inside the jacket.

So, any actual users here? They aren't the lightest shells ever, but in the PNW rain gear is essential. I'm toying with the notion of asking Joe at Zpacks to place pit-zips in a waterproof breathable Cuben fiber jacket so that the hipbelt could be buckled under the jacket, but still not convinced that it won't let rain in.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I like it. used it last two trips.

Kinda blurs the line between jacket and poncho.

It may let some rain in… but usually my arms will block the majority of it. There are two sliders on the zipper so you can have a bit open to feed your hipbelt through, or you can have it open up to your pittys.

Yes- good ventilation, but it could let the rain in… as with any vent. luckily they are very adjustable. you can even do a little bitty torsoflow AND a little pit vent at the same time.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the OR one works quite well IMO … when yr moving hard the ventilation is very useful … sure there might be a bit of splash, but with the proper synth base layer, itll dry out with body heat

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I have a hard shell and a soft shell OR rain coat with the full zips. Have used them rather effectively with a backpack. In heavy rain just zip to the top and bottom edges of the belt. Works great.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Torsoflo is much better than traditional pit zips, which I never had much use for. As noted you can get a little splash, but if you're all zipped up you'll get wet from sweat instead. It's very similar to wearing a short fitted poncho when it's all the way unzipped, and the ventilation is pretty good.

-David

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Dredging up an old post I know, but my 2 cents:

I love the idea. I’m thinking of making (more likely getting made) a jacket with a 1/2 zip on the front and two bicep-to-hem zips, and a kangaroo style pocket across the front. Seems to me this would be a best-of-both-worlds kind of jacket, easy to take on and off, work well with hip belts, with a nice big front pocket and good venting.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Works great with a waist belt, allowing the front to be ventilated well. Another step in the right direction to curing the wet-from-rain-or-sweat quandary. You can always go to a more traditional pit zip mode or zip up completely as needed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools