Topic

Cell phone rescue in Napa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cell phone rescue in Napa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

It really works! (at least when you have reception…)

From the Napa Valley Register:

Two 19-year-old teenagers were rescued Wednesday evening from the Oat Hill Mine Trail near Calistoga with the help of the Napa County Search and Rescue team and a California Highway Patrol plane, Napa County Sheriff’s Capt. Leroy Anderson said.

A CHP plane was dispatched shortly after the hikers used a cell phone to call for help at 5:47 p.m. after getting lost off the trail, Anderson said.

The plane spotted the hikers at 6:50 p.m. and a Napa County Search and Rescue team, knowing the hikers’ GPS coordinates, hiked into the area, he said.

Search and Rescue volunteers found the man and the woman at about 9:30 p.m. and led them out of the area, he said. The teenagers, whose hometown is unknown, were not injured.

(I like the fact that they were 19 year old teenagers. Whatever happened to editors?)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

And this (although I don't think they gave GPS coordinates of their location):

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2012/11/rescuers_find_stranded_snowboa.html

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

I just like the story because in my head the guys from CHiPs showed up to rescue them:

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I used to love watching CHiPs.

It's nice to see a happy ending to one of these stories- there haven't been a lot of them lately.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Not being from California, my (mis-)perceptions of Napa might be skewed by reports from friends who have vacationed there …. but somehow I was under the impression that "trails" in Napa led from one vineyard to the next. I maybe could be "lost" there for months without feeling the urge to call SAR. he-he

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Less than ten percent of Napa COunty is vineyards. Most of it is what we call "goat land," steep costal mountains with lots of scrub. IN the western part you'll find redwoods, but in this area it's mainly oak, manzanita, and poison oak. Plenty of mountain lions, probably a few bears. The next county north is Lake County, and that's where Mendocino National Forest and the Tuliyome Recreation area are located…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Calistoga is near Mount Saint Helena and the palisades, lots of mountains and forests around there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools