Topic

suggestions for lightweight technical day pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) suggestions for lightweight technical day pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

Locale: Michigan

here's what i'm looking for:

lightweight (less than 2 lbs)
    1500-2000 cu in.
    panel-loading
    waist and sternum straps

any suggestions? just sold my fave old panel-loading dana designs daypack. it was sweet and totally bomber but it weighed almost 4 lbs at only 2000 cu in capacity! looking for something equally technical but way lighter.

my short list right now includes the vaude rock ul 25 or the rei jet ul. neither of these is panel loading, though.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Golite Ion?

I thought it was panel loading, but it's not.

Aaron Bradshaw

@bradshaw

Locale: Alberta

Hey Caleb,

A little heavier than you wanted, but it's a nice panel loader with the added capacity from the back and side pockets. The space between the back mesh and the pack is also useable for smaller items and/or a bladder.

Aaron

James Drake

@justducky456

Locale: Colorado High Country

The Gregory Spectrum (on sale at Sierra Trading Post)meets your requirements if you fit in a medium. I have it and thought it was the perfect day pack…until I found a considerable design flaw. The back of the pack collapses and folds in the middle which pushes somewhat uncomfortably into the middle of your back. It was more of an annoyance than painful but I added a dowel rod through the fabric to prevent this from happening and I am very happy again. Maybe this is why Gregory discontinued the pack. I really like the pack otherwise and it received positive reviews from others. If you are willing to make a mod to the pack the price isn't too bad.

Gregory Spectrum Backpack

Luke Douglas

@lukedoug

You might want to look in to the Cilogear Schoolbag as seen at

http://www.cilogear.com/packs/schoolbag.shtml

It fits your requirements nicely and is completely bombproof. I've had mine for about 6 months now and despite using it for school every day as well as a few trips to the Adirondacks it looks brand new (Spectra rocks!) . The compression system is quite innovative as well and it looks bad-ass to boot. As far as the technical side goes, the pack very nicely carries two axes and 'pons and the stiff foam backpanel transfers loads easily.

By far the best thing is the customer service though. When the first pack I ordered failed to arrive (I blame gremlins in my college mail center), I emailed the owner and he promptly sent me a second bag no questions asked. Now that there is a new line of packs out by Cilogear my only problem is that I do not know which model to buy!

There is one caveat though: the Schoolbag is no longer listed in this year's current line of packs. I bet there are still a few more floating around though, so a quick email to the owner ([email protected]) should be enough to get you one.

P.S. I am not affiliated with Cilogear in any way, I am just a very happy customer.

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

yeah, looked at those. honestly, 2lbs 6oz for only 1500cu is not a very lightweight ratio. i would like to get 2000cu in for under 2 lbs.

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

this pack looks trick! 23 oz and bomber. perfect. i haven't heard of these guys but their packs look great. just emailed them, we'll see if they can come through. thanks for the tip!

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

This looks like a great option for you, but I will also second the Golite Ion. I got it just about a month ago and it is pretty sweet. Considering that I mostly stick with long dayhikes and run through them pretty fast, the spectra 20 liter looks really appealing.

Graham Williams

@crackers

Luke said: "There is one caveat though: the Schoolbag is no longer listed in this year's current line of packs. I bet there are still a few more floating around though, so a quick email to the owner ([email protected]) should be enough to get you one. "

He's correct. I still have some.

just email me…

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

email sent. graham, are you with cilogear or a retailer?

Graham Williams

@crackers

i am cilogear.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Caleb,

I believe someone suggested the Osprey Atmos 25 as maybe meeting your goals, but thought it might be heavier than you wanted. Per the manufacturer's specs, the Atmos 25 weighs 1 lb 15 oz in size medium. It's a panel loader that falls at the low end of your desired capacity range, at least per manufacturer specs as follows:

Small — 1400 cu in
    Medium — 1500 cu in
    Large — 1600 cu in

It's described as having extra features like zippered mesh pockets on the hip belt, "air suspension" w/alloy frame, front slash pocket w/zipper, front stretch woven pocket, padded hip belt and shoulder straps, etc. Don't know if it has a sternum strap, but suspect it does since that's pretty common with mass-produced packs these days.

At the moment, Backcountry Gear has the Atmos 25 on sale for $84 ($55 off of $139 retail) at the following link:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/OS200

I don't have an Atmos 25, but I do have a bigger version that Osprey calls the "Atmos 35" — a lot heavier than the Atmos 25, but more capacity at 2100 cu in for size medium.

JRS

Edit: The photo at Backcounty Gear doesn't show a sternum strap, so maybe it doesn't have one. Have to check specs at the Osprey website.

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I just picked up an Atmos 25 (edit,typo); Size L, 2lbs 6oz
    I like it so far, it seems to handle up to 20lbs fine, thats as much as ive put in it. Didnt hike with that though.
    I also like the features but it can be a little tricky to pack with the frame bulging into the sack. Mesh pockets are really nice too. Mine has a sternum strap.

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

as i posted above, the ospreys are quite heavy on the capacity vs. weight ratio. osprey seems to be following the traditional overbuilt feature-laden robo-pack direction. even their "ul" packs in the atmos line are heavy for their capacity. don't get me wrong, i owned a crescent 60. it was a beautiful pack and i loved using it. there are just better options for lightweight and ultra-lightweight packers.

i'm going with the above-mentioned cilogear schoolbag. if you haven't seen what graham has to offer check out the link a couple of posts above. he says he has a few schoolbags left, i would encourage anyone in the market for a bomber lightweight multi-use day pack to check this out. i would have seriously considered his 40l pack had i known about it befor i bought my ula circuit (not that i'm not totally geeked about my circuit).

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

John, by chance do you have a Stratos?

There isn't an Atmos 24.

Caleb, the Talon 33 is 2000 ci and under 2 lbs.

This is a pack I am looking into.

Caleb Wininger

@caleb_sandler

the talons are top loaders. that's the primary reason i was shying away from them (not to mention price…). the weight issue i raised primarily refers to the atmos series.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

You're right, Rob, there is no Atmos 24. But there is an Atmos 25 as described at the Osprey website below:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AtmosSeriesMens/Atmos25/

Osprey describes the pack as follows:

"Atmos 25 – One-Day Adventure Racing, Trail Running

"The Atmos 25 is light and simple. Easy panel loading and a spacious welded stretch woven front pocket allow easy access and organization. A water resistant zippered slash pocket allows quick access to an interior panel mesh pocket while zippered mesh pockets on the hipbelt keep energy gel close at hand. Stow hydration in an interior sleeve with easy exit ports.

" Zippered full panel loader
    " Front slash pocket with welded water-resistant zipper
    " AirSpeed suspension with 6005-T6 aluminum alloy frame and titanium flex rods
    " Hydration cavity behind mesh panel with hydration tubing port holes
    " Removable shockcord clips"

It's the above pack (the Osprey Atmos 25) that's on sale at Backcountry Gear for $84 ($50 off $139 retail).

JRS

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools