Topic

ultralight rain jackets?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ultralight rain jackets?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

Is it the wrong time of the year to be picking out one of these jackets? I'm looking at the rab pulse, and OR helium II. These look like they're being phased out should I be waiting to see what hits the market in 2013?

-Loki

Anonymous
    Inactive

Recommendations will depend on your needs/usage. I did the John Muir Trail this summer which normally only has brief afternoon thunderstorms, so my need was limited. I carried a Frogg Toggs jacket at 4 oz. and it worked perfect. Very cheap, light, and it works. I had actually ordered and received the Rab Pulse, and returned it when I read about Frogg Toggs.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

One of those rain storms was hail, so I was glad to have the pants and waterproof shell over my liner gloves

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

driducks look like they'd be fun to play around with for the cost and weight, but I'm worried about not having a brim. I don't bring a sun hat or brimmed cap out with me only a balaclava or beanie. Would I need to bring a visor or something with a bill to make this work?

So when are the new latest and greatest models supposed to be released?

-Loki

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

unless you find an uber sick sale … it always pays to wait before buying nice shiny gear which you dont need right now …

consider that its a weak economy and that sales are often better AFTER xmas ;)

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Where can I buy a 4 oz Frogg Toggs jacket? What size?

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Locale: Southern California

My criteria was based off something that would be useful for alpine conditions as well as rain. I settled on the Arc'teryx Alpha SL pullover (I'm a fan of the Anorak styles and pit zips), with the sexy Rab Demand in a close second (Anorak, no zips)

But if there is a chance of rain and it's a well-maintained trail, I'd just take Dri Ducks. I'm in socal so, weather isn;t crazy here anyways.

So it all depends on your needs and trip objectives when you say "rain jacket".

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Bass Pro Shop has a good selection of Frogg Toggs.

Ben Smith

@bsmith_90

Locale: Epping Forest

If you find yourself often needing a winter rain jacket then either now or, as mentioned above, after Xmas would be great times to shop around.
    On the other hand, if you're after something SUL which will hold off summer showers, wait until the 2012 Spring/Summer stuff, there will be some more suitable stuff around then with perhaps even some lovely new technology!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools