Topic

Is this Multi-Use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Is this Multi-Use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I have a brunton Eclipse 8099 compass that weighs 3.82 oz (w, neck cord), but it also has a mirror and magnifing glass. These are functions that I wouldnt care about on shorter trips, but would I need them for longer ones? And would the weight be justified by having multiple purposes?Brunton 8099

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi John,

I have the model just below the one you are showing in the photo. The model in the photo is the Pro Model, I have just the regular version which I purchased prior to the release of your model. It is a nice compass, but it is a bit heavy. I have switched from this and my Silva Ranger to a Suunto MC-2 Global Compass which weighs only 2.6oz and has a Global Needle. All 3 (or 4) are very good for usage for map and field and taking inclination readings (dips- as for Geology) or slope, or grade.

All 3 units are somewhat multipurpose usage because they will also serve as a mirror for many purposes including signaling.

Some may argue these mirrored compasses are too large and heavy, but I prefer something just in case for map and field compass readings. These compasses tend to be more accurate than most due to the sighting mirror and you also can set the declination.

Rich

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

John,

Don't know about multi-use, maybe emergency signals with the mirror. But… I noticed that the green index mark is not accurately placed. This is almost one degree off on my compass. I've looked at some other Bruntons and they seem to be about the same quality. The "lining up the circles". for taking bearings, is a great feature and I wish the Silva Ranger and Sunnto used this system. IMO Brunton needs to improve their machine accuracy. I still fall back on my Silva or Sunnto. Though it makes for a heavier compass, the mirror is invaluable in accurate sighting for triangulation. When I did carry my Brunton I ditched the rubber boot to save weight.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

Mirror also comes in handy to see parts of your body (looking for ticks, etc.) you can't see otherwise. Helps make sure you're half-way presentable before venturing in public!

Tim W

@watters

I carry this one. Less than an ounce with mirror.
    http://www.thecompassstore.com/landmark.html

I couldn't find this model on Silva's website, so it may be discontinued.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Tim,

That compass may be light, but it reads in 5 degree increments, has a fixed declination scale, and is not easy to switch back and forth between field and map (the base is not trasparent).

Rich

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Every summer for the past 21 summers I have taught map and compass navigation. I insist that students have a compass with a mirror and adjustable declination. If you set the declination correctly for the center of your hiking area you may use the compass without even thinking about east or west declination and wheather you need to add or subtract the declination. Then there's always the fun of teaching folks to add and subtract in degrees, minutes and seconds. If you need a compass to get yourself un-lost you're almost surely in a moderately panic mode. The eaiser it is, the better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools