Topic

fit check on rab down jacket.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) fit check on rab down jacket.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Hi all,
    I just picked up a cheap new Rab Neutrino Endurance and, as this is my first "high-end" down jacket, I'd like to make sure its a good fit moving forward. The jacket below is a Medium.

I am 5'7" 155lb (athletic build) and not sure if this should be snug or baggy; I usually wear jackets a bit snugger ("slim fit") and am inclined to think this is too big, but maybe I'm wrong. So, should I go smaller to an S or do people think this one is good? (PS apologies for the craptacular photos but hey, $ on jackets = no $ for cameras!)

Thanks!

unzipped

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I just bought a RAB Infinity down jacket myself. Can you try it on with the various layers underneath it that you will use for various activities? I put on the three thin layers that I will use for winter backpacking and added the RAB over that. If you can move your arms easily with three thin layers underneath, it's probably a good fit.

Also, I've learned on these forums that as long as your down isn't compressed in any way, you should be fine.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

What Raquel says is good adice, I personally go a step further and make sure I have enough room for 5 layers in winter.

Base layer,
    Mid layer fleece (r1 or similar)
    Windshirt
    Primaloft vest
    Rain shell.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

So nobody so far thinks its too *big*, huh?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

It looks fine, it depends what you want to use it for.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Fit's pretty subjective, but it looks good. Nice coat. You should pick up your dirty socks tho.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Why would you want room for a windshirt and rain shell too?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Because I don't want to take the windshirt and shell off if I am just putting on the puffy for a break, it is a fairly common practice in winter.

It does not need be a perfect fit, it's fine if it's a bit tight.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Most of my winter trips have been in Scotland where folks wear hard shells all year round.

I know a lot of folk on Bpl don't use hard shells in winter and a lot do.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Hahah I did; I'm embarrassed they made it in there. Anyhoo, still unsure at whether to hold on to get a size small. I'm just used to my jackets being pretty snug and this one is so poofy that maybe its supposed to be like that, maybe not. Unsure.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

I've wondered about some of the layering stuff as well seeing as I just bought a puffy coat. Well, a puffy shirt since I don't believe any of my travels will, in the near future, take me through any serious winter hiking. I bought a First Ascent MicroTherm Shirt. Here's a question for those who might offer some insight….

Is that practice of using a softshell under a down jacket common, or do most people get such a warm down coat that they go base -> down -> wpb shell? I ask because some cold weather finally has blown through the area (relatively cold, mid 40's at night) here and my new skinny down jacket definitely needed a second layer besides my 200gm merino baselayer last night. I did try it with a 2.5 style fleece I've had since the time of Moses and the Egyptians and it certainly was warm at that point (too warm). It made me think maybe I should have scored a puffier puffy though.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

yes, i think it's pretty easy to get away with a very versatile, cheap, light, 3 layer system that will keep you warm down to the low 30's. all you would need is a 7oz 160-200 wt wool baselayer (zip neck preferred), a 15 oz jacket with 3 to 4 oz of 850+ down, and a 10oz hardshell. case closed. you can pick all of this up for under 200 on gearswap. i saw someone selling a first ascent hooded downlight jacket and a montbell alpine light, both awesome jackets that fit the bill. I have both actually and both keep me warm with a baselayer down around freezing. the best thing about down is that you dont really overheat that much unless you are exerting. and in that case, you can vent or take it off. so at 45-50 i am super cozy and can even unzip if i want. i love the looks of that microtherm shirt, but i have too many awesome poly pieces that were way cheaper that i can wear around the fire too. just my thoughts on your statements.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Tim B

@flatlanderia

JIMMY,

I'm about the same size as you, 5'9'', 160lbs. I bought the same jacket in a Med and I think it's spot on. If you are wearing it with only a t-shirt and long sleeved shirt, yeah, it might feel a little baggy. If you are wearing it with a couple baselayers and a light insulating layer on, it fits perfectly as it should. If you never plan on layering it, and use it only as an around town jacket to thow on over a long sleeved shirt (nothing wrong with this either) might want to go to a small.

I thought the fit was a little big only at the bottom hem, but you can tighten that up pretty well.

Shady H

@shadyfhakim

Locale: West Coast

Hi All,

Just the thread I was looking for. I'm considering the same jacket and trying to figure out sizing. I'm 5'6"ish, ~140lbs, about 38 or so in the chest (a little barrel chested). The small is spec'd for 37" chest, but they don't give a size range, just a single number. Medium for 40" chest.

I am thinking the small would be best for my purposes. I would probably layer over a midweight base layer, R1 fleece or soft shell. I am usually a small in Patagonia, smartwool, etc. for a technical fit, but have sized up to medium occasionally if the fit is slim.

Any thoughts?

Tim B

@flatlanderia

Shady, Yeah I would go small. I'm 5'10'', about 155lbs and my Medium fits well. Just big enough to have a baselayer and a midlayer, and MAYBE a light shell.. but that would be pushing it. Anyway, what I'm saying is that at my size, the Medium is great but I would not want it any smaller. So, I think you'll want a Small unless you want a baggy fit or want to get several (like 4!) other layers under it.

Shady H

@shadyfhakim

Thanks, Tim. I just put in an order for a small.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I would recommend not measuring chest and jacket to check fit. It is very hard to know how the jacket will drape when actually worn and having the down loft up.

I find that with thicker down garments I can get away with a baggier fit, because the down lofts up and 'balloons' inward, taking up the empty space. This allows for layering too.

So here is my guide:

Assuming you will only bring this jacket if it's below freezing.

Typically you would put a jacket like this on at rest stops and in camp, over the top of your active clothes(skiing/climbing etc. outfit)

Layer it over a base-layer. Is there so much space inside that air is swooshing in and out as you move? This will make the jacket less warm.

Next, layer it over several layers that you'd be wearing on the coldest outing. does it still fit? Not uncomfortably tight?
    The last thing you want is to have to take of clothes on the coldest mornings because your down jacket is to tight.

Shady H

@shadyfhakim

Tjaard, thanks for this. That's helpful. I'll check out the small when I receive it and was planning to do a similar fit test.

Do you happen to own one of these? I would be curious to hear how it compares with other brands you've tried in terms of sizing/fit. Like I said, I'm generally on the larger side of small in most Patagonia (ie, small is a "technical" fit).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools